|This guideline documents an English Wikipedia naming convention.|
The page names in the English Wikipedia, and place names used in the text, should be widely accepted modern English spellings. Hence, [[Sylhet]] but not [[Silet]], Dhaka, not [[Dacca]]. Alternative and local names, including historical names and spellings can be mentioned in the lede. Redirects (see Wikipedia:Redirect) should be created for these alternative and local names, and for alternative spellings, whether they are mentioned in Wikipedia or not.
When multiple spellings exist, choose the page name according to Bangladesh government portal.[a] Next place to check is Banglapedia (www.banglapedia.org). Note that, government portal takes precedence, and that the government portal and Banglapedia use different transliterations in many cases.
Territories and localities
- Usually proper names of administrative territories, such as divisions, districts, upazilas, wards, unions include these words as part of their names. In contrast, names of localities do not. Hence, [[Dhaka]] but not [[Dhaka city]] while [[Dhaka Division]] and [[Dhaka District]]. Similarly, [[Dhanmondi]] and [[Jigatola]] are two neighborhoods within [[Dhanmondi Thana]].
- Words: district, division, upazila, thana are generally part of proper name and thus capitalized. Hence, Dhanmondi Thana but not [[Dhanmondi thana]].
- Often a locality can be governed by several different types of local governments. In such cases administrative bodies and branches may have their distinct articles. For example, municipal duties of Dhaka is primarily attributed to Dhaka North City Corporation and Dhaka South City Corporation. Civil policing is done by Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) through several thanas including [[Badda Thana]], [[Gulshan Thana]] etc. Special administrative divisions will have the type name in parentheses; e.g. [[Gulshan (DNCC Zone)]].
- Special places of interest and regions without political definitions can be handled similarly as localities.
When disambiguation is needed, a comma convention is used:
- For cities, district headquarter towns: [[placename, Bangladesh]]
- For divisions and districts: [[placename, Bangladesh]]
- For places within cities and towns: [[placename, cityname]]
- For places and territories within districts, but not in a city: [[placename, district]]. Here, district name would drop the part District from name for sake of brevity. e.g. [[Kaliganj Upazila, Gazipur]] but not [[Kaliganj Upazila, Gazipur District]].
- When one level of disambiguation is not sufficient, use the disambiguated name of parent place: [[placename, A, B]].
- Bangladesh government portal is mostly in Bengali. So, in many cases it may not help. In such cases refer to Banglapedia. If there is no article in Benglapedia either, refer to and furnish some government source (e.g. http://www.bangladeshpost.gov.bd/)