The town hall in Toulouges
|Intercommunality||Perpignan Méditerranée Métropole|
|• Mayor (2001–2008)||Louis Caseilles|
|8.04 km2 (3.10 sq mi)|
|• Density||860/km2 (2,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||50–82 m (164–269 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Toulouges probably grew upon a Roman villa. It was first mentioned in 904 at the same time mentioning the church called Tulogias. Other names that are presumably Toulouges are Tologis (in a 937 document), Tulujes (1027), Tuluges (1030), Toluges (1119).
Toulouges hosted an ecumenical council known as the Council of Elge-Toulouges in 1027. It aimed to promote peace among the feudal lords of France by declaring the Truce of God, attempting to limit the days of the week and times of year that the nobility could engage in violence.
During the 14th and 15th centuries Toulouges grew rapidly. A wall and hospital were in existence. In 1628, however, part of the population was killed by a plague. Today,[when?] though, Toulouges is again growing rapidly.
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Toulouges notes
- Cushing, Kathleen G. (Nov 29, 2005). Reform and the Papacy in the Eleventh Century: Spirituality and Social Change. Manchester University Press. p. 48. ISBN 9780719058349.
- For the famous Truce of God was signed here in 1027.
- Toulouges History (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Toulouges.|
|This Pyrénées-Orientales geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|