A "journey of self-discovery" refers to a travel, pilgrimage, or series of events whereby a person attempts to determine how they feel, personally, about spiritual issues or priorities, rather than following the opinions of family, friends, neighborhood or peer pressure. The topic of self-discovery has been associated with Zen. A related term is "finding oneself".
A journey of self-discovery is a popular theme in fiction. Some films use similar phrases, such as in the 2008 film Petals: Journey Into Self Discovery.[better source needed] The 2010 film Eat Pray Love and 2012 film Life of Pi is also associated with the idea of a journey of self-discovery.
- Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha (1922)
- Jack Kerouac's On the Road (1957)
- Cormac McCarthy's All The Pretty Horses (1992)
- Yann Martel's Life of Pi (2001)
- Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones (2002)
- Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love (2006)
- Craig Thompson's Habibi (2011)
- Cheryl Strayed's Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (2012)
- El Topo (1970) and The Holy Mountain (1973) by Alejandro Jodorowsky
- The Pillow Book (1996) by Peter Greenaway
- Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010) and Cemetery of Splendour (2015) by Apichatpong Weerasethakul
- Voyage (2013) and Utopians (2015) by Scud
- A film version of Siddhartha (1972)
- The Tree of Life (2011) by Terrence Malick
- Coming of age – reaching maturity, from childhood to adulthood
- Cultural identity
- Identity (social science)
- Identity formation
- Maturation (disambiguation)
- New Age movement
- Personal development
- Personal identity
- Philosophy of life
- Psychology of self
- Religious views on the self
- Visionary fiction
- Work–life balance § Identity through work
- "Pilgrimage takes anthropologist on journey of self-discovery", Princeton.edu, February 7, 2006
- "Yeshiva University News - A Journey of Self-Discovery",Yeshiva University, February 12, 2010
- "Film-inspired holidays: The Journey of self-discovery",The Guardian, 9 October 2010
- "http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/Journey-of-self-discovery/articleshow/7451701.cms Journey of self-discovery]", Times of India, 18 April 2011, webpage: TOI-18.
- "'Elegy' journey of self-discovery", Chicago Tribune, 5 February 2002
- "Surfer and Zen Master Discusses Journey of Self Discovery", KPBS.org, August 11, 2009
- "The Pride" a 50-year journey of self-discovery" The Denver Post, May 12, 2011
- "Petals: Journey Into Self Discovery (2008) - IMDb", IMDb.com, 2008, webpage: IMDb-1850.
- McNenny, Gerri; Fitzgerald, Sallyanne H. Mainstreaming Basic Writers: Politics and Pedagogies of Access. Routledge. ISBN 9781135658656. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Lamb, James M. BLACK. Author House. ISBN 9781491823774. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Learning, Gale, Cengage. A Study Guide for Hermann Hesse's "Siddhartha". Gale Cengage Learning. ISBN 9781410357915. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- "Billy Corgan is going to perform an eight-hour concert about Siddhartha". 18 February 2014. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Hughes, Jon. "Hermann Hesse was one of the most iconoclastic of European authors". The Conversation. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- "Lessons from Literature: Siddhartha". The Georgetown Voice. 13 October 2016. Retrieved 15 January 2017.