Logo of the Santali Wikipedia
Type of site
|Launched||August 2, 2018|
|Creative Commons Attribution/|
Share-Alike 3.0 (most text also dual-licensed under GFDL)
Media licensing varies
The Santali Wikipedia is the Santali language version of Wikipedia, run by the Wikimedia Foundation. The site was launched on 2 August 2018. Santali Language's own alphabet, Ol Chiki, has been used as the alphabet of this Wikipedia. Santali is a language in the Munda subfamily of Austroasiatic languages, spoken by around 7.4 million people in South Asia (Bangladesh, India, Bhutan and Nepal).
The process of creating a Santali Language Wikipedia began in 2012 and, later on, got momentum in February, 2017. Back in 2012, Wikimedia Bangladesh organized a Wikipedia meetup and workshop with the Santali Language Community in Dinajpur District of Bangladesh with the goal of launching a Santali Language Wikipedia. However, that process slowed down after some time.
Then in September 2017, Wikimedia Bangladesh organized another meeting with Santali Language Community in a Dhaka Wikipedia meetup where a decision was made to expedite the launch of the Wikipedia. Following that discussion, a workshop was organized in Dhaka by Wikimedia Bangladesh for Santali language community on 30 December 2017. Santali language community from India also participated in that program through online discussion. Subsequently, another workshop was organized for Santali language community in Odisha, India on 11 March 2018 in collaboration with Odia Wikimedians User Group.
Users and editors
|Number of user accounts||Number of articles||Number of files||Number of administrators|
- উইকিপিডিয়ায় সাঁওতালি ভাষা - banglatribune.com.
- Team, Samakal Online. উইকিপিডিয়ায় সাঁওতালি ভাষা.
- Tanvi, Patel (10 August 2018). "This Tribal Language Just Became India's First to Have Wikipedia Edition in Own Script!". The Better India.
- "Santhali becomes India's first tribal language to get own Wikipedia edition". 9 August 2018.
- ক্ষুদ্রজাতির ভাষায় বিশ্বকোষ - কালের কণ্ঠ. Kaler Kantho (in Bengali).
- Bhandari, Tannistha. নজির গড়ে উইকিপিডিয়ায় স্বীকৃতি পেল সাঁওতালি ভাষা. kolkata24x7.com.
|Santali edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Santali Wikipedia.|
|This Wikimedia Foundation-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|