In 1268, the Carmelites obtained a seta near the Castello Sforzesco: here, starting from the 14th century, they built a convent with an annexed church. The latter was however destroyed in a fire in 1330. The rebuilt church fell also in abandon before the end of the century, after the friars moved to another convent.
The new church was built from 1400, under the design of friar Bernardo da Venezia. Works were completed in 1446. The vault crumbled down three years after the completion, and a restoration was necessary. In the mid-15th century, the church became a favourite destination for aristocratic burials, as testified by the numerous noble tombs in the chapels and niches. In the 17th century, the presbytery was remade in Baroque style. The current façade was designed by Carlo Maciachini and completed in 1880.
The interior has a nave and two aisles. They are covered by crossed vault ceilings and separated by large circular pillars in cotto or simple stone. In the naves and transepts are several artworks, including works by Camillo Procaccini depicting St Charles Borromeo Praying (1585) and other works by the painter in the Chapel of Madonna del Carmine, as well as a Madonna statue at the altar.
The high altar features a small temple inspired by that in the Milan Cathedral.