|City Attorney of San Diego|
|Term length||Four years, renewable once|
|Inaugural holder||Thomas W. Sutherland|
|Website||Office of the City Attorney|
The San Diego City Attorney is an elected official in San Diego, California. The City Attorney serves as the city government's lawyer and as a criminal prosecutor for misdemeanor violations and infractions. The city attorney is elected for four years, and may serve up to two terms. The current city attorney is Mara Elliott. Predecessors include Jan Goldsmith (2008-2016), Mike Aguirre (2004-2008), Casey Gwinn (1996-2004), and John W. Witt (1969-1996). Ms. Elliott is the first woman, and first Latina, to serve as City Attorney for San Diego, California.
The San Diego City Attorney's Office has four divisions.
- Civil Advisory Division
- Civil Litigation Division
- Criminal Division
- Community Justice Division
List of City Attorneys
The following list shows San Diego City Attorneys since the incorporation of the City of San Diego. From 1852 until 1888 the City government was dissolved due to a bankruptcy and there was no official city attorney.
|City Attorney||Term start||Term end|
|Thomas W. Sutherland||1850||1851|
|James W. Robinson||1852||1852|
|Harry L. Titus||1888||1888|
|James P. Goodwin||1889||1890|
|William H. Fuller||1891||1894|
|Herbert E. Doolittle||1895||1904|
|William R. Andrews||1905||1906|
|William R. Andrews||1910||1913|
|Terence B. Cosgrove||1914||1919|
|Shelley J. Higgins||1919||1927|
|Marvin W. Conkling||1928||1931|
|Frank H. Heskett||1931||1931|
|Clinton L. Byers||1931||1936|
|Dayton L. Ault||1937||1941|
|Dayton L. Ault||1941||1942|
|Clarence J. Novotny||1943||1943|
|Jean F. Du Paul||1943||1961|
|Alan M. Firestone||1961||1963|
|Richard J. Curran||1963||1965|
|John W. Witt||1969||1996|
- "How To Run For Office Details | City of San Diego Official Website". www.sandiego.gov.
- "Office of the City Attorney | City of San Diego Official Website". www.sandiego.gov.
- "Casey Gwinn". WIC Biography. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Legends of the Bar, John W. Witt". San Diego County Bar Association. January 2006. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Mara Elliott and Women Trailblazers in San Diego". San Diego County Democratic Party. 2016-06-29. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- "City Attorney Divisions | City of San Diego Official Website". www.sandiego.gov.
- Smythe, William Ellworth (1907). History of San Diego, 1542-1908. History Co. Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- McGrew, Clarence Alan (1922). My library My History Books on Google Play City of San Diego and San Diego County: The Birthplace of California, Volume 1. American Historical Society. p. 426. Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- "ELECTION HISTORY – CITY ATTORNEY, CITY OF SAN DIEGO" (PDF). City of San Diego. Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- "A History of San Diego Government | City of San Diego Official Website". www.sandiego.gov. City of San Diego. Retrieved April 22, 2017.