For most of the festival's history, the resident orchestra of the Easter Festival has been the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, of which Karajan was music director at the time, with Karajan also serving as the Easter Festival's artistic director. The orchestra continued its involvement with the festival through the subsequent tenure of Claudio Abbado, who became artistic director in 1994.
In February 2010, allegations of financial scandal and embezzling arose against the then-executive director of the Easter Festival, Michael Dewitte. The scandal widened after Klaus Kretschmer, the technical director of the Salzburg Festival, was similarly accused, and later found severely injured in Salzburg after a reported suicide attempt. Both Dewitte and Kretschmer were dismissed. Peter Alward was then named the new managing director of the Easter Festival.
In May 2011, the Berlin Philharmonic decided to leave the Salzburg Easter Festival as orchestra in residence  In June 2011, the Easter Festival announced the appointment of the Staatskapelle Dresden as its new resident orchestra, and its Chief Conductor Christian Thielemann as its new artistic director, as of the 2013 season.
Since 1 July 2015, the cultural manager, composer and conductor Peter Ruzicka has been the managing director an Intendant of the Salzburg Easter Festival, following Peter Alward and Bernd Gaubinger.
- Tony Paterson (2010-02-08). "Corruption, intrigue...and that's before the Wagner's even begun". The Independent. Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- Allan Hall (2010-02-08). "Salzburg music festival mired by fraud allegations". Telegraph. Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- Lizzy Davies (2010-03-26). "Salzburg Easter festival hopes harmony will be restored after £1.8m corruption scandal". The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- "Intendanz und Geschäftsführung der Osterfestspiele Salzburg bedauern Berliner Entscheidung" (PDF) (Press release). Salzburg Easter Festival. May 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-12.
- Shirley Apthorp (2011-05-14). "Berlin Philharmonic Quits Scandal-Hit Salzburg Easter Festival". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- "Staatskapelle Dresden to become orchestra for the Salzburg Easter Festival, and Christian Thielemann the festival's Artistic Director" (Press release). Staatskapelle Dresden. 8 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-11.