|Escuela de Santa Rita (1907-1911)|
Colegio de Santa Rita (1911-1921)
St. Rita Academy (1921-1945)
Motto in English
|Type||Private, Roman Catholic, Non-profit|
Coeducational Basic and Higher education institution
|Roman Catholic (Agustinian-Recollect)|
|Directress||Mo. Maxima Y. Pelaez, AR|
Plaza del Carmen, Quiapo,
Saint Rita College is a Private Roman Catholic Agustinian-Recollect college run by the Order of Augustinian Recollects nuns in the Philippines. It is situated in Plaza del Carmen, Quiapo, Manila, where the Motherhouse of the Beaterio de Terciarias Agustinas Recoletas, now Congregation of the Augustinian Recollect Sisters is located. It was founded in 1907 as "Escuela de Santa Rita", the first school of the Agustinian-Recollect Sisters which offered free education to Kindergarten girls, and special courses such as Spanish, Music, Painting and Embroidery.
At present, it offers education from Elementary through College. Academic Programs are based on the Learning Standards of the Augustinian Recollect (LSAR)and the DepEd K-12 Curriculum. Courses offered in college include Bachelor in Elementary Education (BEED) and Bachelor in Secondary Education (BSED) major in English; and Bachelor of Arts major in English. The college was honored to have been visited by the Apostolic delegate to the Philippines Ambrosio Aguis with Archbishop Jeremy Harty.
In 1907, the Recollect priest, Reverend Father Celestino Yolde, prescribed a well-defined and delineated program of education on reading, writing, Spanish language, religion, music, painting, and embroidery with Spanish as the medium of instruction, where classes were informally given by the Agustinian-Recollect Sisters. The next year, the school building was built and formal classes started with the approval of the Bureau of Private Schools.
In 1911, the school was registered as "Colegio de Santa Rita", which offered Primary and Intermediate classes. English was included in the program of instruction and became the medium of teaching the following year. By the year 1921, the school adopted a new name, "St. Rita Academy", and then renamed as "Saint Rita College" in 1945.
In 1948, College programs as well as vocational courses were offered. The school opened its doors to young boys by the year 2003.
Saint Rita College celebrated its centennial year in 2007 with the theme "Love to Come Home."