|Founder||Walter Rowman and Arthur W. Littlefield|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Lanham, Maryland|
|Distribution||National Book Network (US)|
NBN International (UK)
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group is an independent publishing house founded in 1949. Under several imprints, the company offers scholarly books for the academic market, as well as trade books. Rowman & Littlefield is the world's largest publisher in museum studies. The company also owns the book distributing company National Book Network based in Lanham, Maryland.
The current company took shape when University Press of America acquired Rowman & Littlefield in 1988 and took the Rowman & Littlefield name for the parent company. Since 2013, there is also an affiliated company based in London, UK called Rowman & Littlefield International which is editorially independent and publishes only academic books in Philosophy, Politics & International Relations and Cultural Studies.
The company sponsors the Rowman & Littlefield Award in Innovative Teaching, the only national teaching award in political science given in the United States, which is awarded annually by the American Political Science Association for people whose innovations had moved political science pedagogy forward.
- Alban (acquired 2014 from the Alban Institute)
- AltaMira Press (acquired 1999 from SAGE Publications)
- Amadeus Books (acquired 2018 from Hal Leonard)
- Applause Theatre & Cinema Books (acquired 2018 from Hal Leonard)
- Ardsley House Publishers, Inc.
- Backbeat Books (acquired 2018 from Hal Leonard)
- Bernan Press (acquired 2008)
- Bonus Books
- Cowley Publications (acquired 2007 from the Society of St. John the Evangelist.)
- General Hall (acquired 2000)
- Globe Pequot Press (acquired 2014 from Morris Communications)
- Down East Books (acquired by Rowman & Littlefield in 2013)
- Falcon Guides
- Gooseberry Patch (acquired 2015)
- Lyons Press
- Muddy Boots (launched 2016)
- Pineapple Press (acquired 2018)
- Stackpole Books (acquired 2015)
- Taylor Trade (acquired by Rowman & Littlefield in 2001)
- Bridge Works (acquired 2000)
- Cooper Square Press (founded 1961 by Rowman & Littlefield, acquired 1988 by UPA)
- Northland Publishing backlist (acquired in 2007)
- The Derrydale Press (acquired 1999)
- Madison Books (founded 1985 by UPA)
- M. Evans (acquired 2005)
- Roberts Rinehart (acquired 2000)
- TwoDot Books
- Government Institutes (acquired 2004)
- Hal Leonard Books (acquired 2018 from Hal Leonard)
- Hamilton Books (founded 2003)
- Ivan R. Dee, Publisher (acquired 1998)
- Jason Aronson (acquired 2003)
- Lexington Books (acquired 1998)
- Limelight Editions (acquired 2018 from Hal Leonard)
- Madison House Publishers (acquired 2000)
- Newbridge Educational Publishing (acquired 2008 from Haights Cross)
- Prometheus Books (acquired 2019)
- Rowman & Littlefield Education or R&L Education (formerly Technomic Books, acquired 1999)
- Rowman & Littlefield (acquired 1988 by UPA)
- Philip Turner Books (founded 2009)
- Scarecrow Press (acquired 1995 by UPA from Grolier); founded by Ralph R. Shaw
- Sheed & Ward (founded in the 1920s in London by Frank Sheed and his wife, Maisie Ward, both prominent in the Catholic Action movement; acquired 2002 from the Priests of the Sacred Heart)
- SR Books (acquired 2004 from Scholarly Resources, Inc., of Wilmington, Delaware)
- Sundance Publishing (acquired 2008 from Haights Cross)
- University Press of America (founded 1975)
- The World Today Series (acquired 2011 from Stryker-Post Publications)
- Bucknell University Press
- Fairleigh Dickinson University Press
- Lehigh University Press
- University of Delaware Press
- Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Press
- C&T Publishing
- "Professor Van Vechten Named to Receive 2008 Roman (sic) & Littlefield Award". American Political Science Association. 2008-07-12. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- Rowman & Littlefield Buys Alban Institute Book Program
- "Rowman & Littlefield Acquires Hal Leonard Trade Titles". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2019-05-26.
- Harry Ransom Center; University of Reading Library. "Firms Out of Business". Retrieved June 8, 2017 – via University of Texas at Austin.
Information about vanished publishing concerns, literary agencies, and similar firms
- Rosen, Judith (January 10, 2007). "Rowman & Littlefield Buys Cowley List". Publishers Weekly.
- Milliot, Jim (December 11, 2000). "Rowman & Littlefield Makes Four Buys". Vol. 247 no. 50. Retrieved June 26, 2018. Cite magazine requires
- "Rowman & Littlefield Acquires Globe Pequot Press". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Rowman & Littlefield Buys Down East Book Assets". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Rowman & Littlefield Acquires Gooseberry Patch". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "Globe Pequot to Launch Children's Imprint". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-10-15.
- "Rowman and Littlefield Acquires Pineapple Press". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-10-15.
- Rowman & Littlefield Buys Stackpole Books
- "Lanham company buys two publishing firms". Washington Business Journal. Retrieved 2018-10-15.
- "Globe Pequot Launches Texas-Themed Imprint". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-10-15.
- Reporter, J. FERGUSONSun Staff. "Flagstaff publisher ready to turn page". Arizona Daily Sun. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "News Briefs". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "PW: Roberts Rinehart Assets Sold To Court Wayne Press". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Rowman &Littlefield Makes Four Buys". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Grolier Inc facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about Grolier Inc". Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- "Rowman & Littlefield Buys Sheed & Ward". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- Slide, Anthony (September 2010). "A publishing phenomenon that begins and ends with Scarecrow Press". Film History. Indiana University Press. 22 (3): 298–308. doi:10.2979/fil.2010.22.3.298.