The Roger B. Taney Monument is a statue of Roger B. Taney (1777–1864), who was the fifth Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, installed in Annapolis, Maryland, on the State House grounds. The sculpture, by the artist William Henry Rinehart, was unveiled on December 10, 1872. The sculpture, made of bronze, was commissioned by the Legislature of Maryland.
Removal from State House grounds
In August 2014, House Speaker Michael E. Busch and Governor Larry Hogan called for its removal. On August 16, 2017, a majority of the members of the Maryland State House Trust voted to move the statue from the State House grounds to storage. Taney was the author of the infamous Dred Scott decision. It was removed on August 18, 2017.
- Roger B. Taney (sculpture), Baltimore
- John Thomas Scharf (2003). History of Western Maryland: Being a History of Frederick, Montgomery, Carroll, Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties from the Earliest Period to the Present Day, Including Biographical Sketches of Their Representative Men. Genealogical Publishing Com. pp. 821–. ISBN 978-0-8063-4565-9.
- "Maryland State Art Collection: Sculpture, Roger Brooke Taney". msa.maryland.gov.
- Moses Foster Sweetser (1892). King's Handbook of the United States. Moses King Corporation. pp. 331–.
- Cox, Erin (August 14, 2017). "House Speaker Busch: Time to remove Taney statue from Maryland State House grounds". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2017-08-16.
- Pamela Wood, Hogan: Taney statue at Maryland State House should be removed, Baltimore Sun (August 14, 2017).
- Wood, Pamela. "Crew prepares to remove Roger Taney statue from Maryland State House grounds".
- Amara, Kate (17 August 2017). "Panel votes to remove Taney statue from State House grounds".
- Kelly, Cindy, Outdoor Sculpture in Baltimore: A Historical Guide to Public Art in the Monumental City, The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 2011 pp. 65-66
- "Taney statue moved from Maryland state house grounds overnight".
|This Maryland-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|