Robert Porter Caldwell
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Tennessee's 7th district
March 4, 1871 – March 3, 1873
|Preceded by||Isaac R. Hawkins|
|Succeeded by||John Atkins|
|Member of the Tennessee House of Representatives|
|Member of the Tennessee Senate|
|Born||December 16, 1821|
Adair County, Kentucky
|Died||March 12, 1885 (aged 63)|
|Spouse(s)||Harriett James Wilkins Caldwell Anna E. Caldwell|
|Children||Thomas Wilkins Caldwell|
Caldwell was born in Adair County, Kentucky on December 16, 1821. He moved with his parents to Henry County, Tennessee and a few years later moved to Obion County. He attended the public schools of Troy and Lebanon, studied law at Troy.
Caldwell married Harriett James Wilkins who was born October 11, 1829 in Maury County, Tennessee, and died August 8, 1865. They were married on March 15, 1851 in Trenton. They had 5 children.
Admitted to the bar, Caldwell commenced practice in Trenton in 1845. He served in the Tennessee House of Representatives in 1847 and 1848. He was a member of the Tennessee Senate in 1855 and 1856. He was elected attorney general for the sixteenth judicial circuit of Tennessee in 1858.
Caldwell was elected as a Democrat to the Forty-second Congress, but was not a successful candidate for re-election to the Forty-third Congress. He served from March 4, 1871 to March 3, 1873. He resumed the practice of law in Trenton, Tennessee.
- "Robert Porter Caldwell". Angelfire.com. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Robert Porter Caldwell". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Robert Porter Caldwell". Govtrack US Congress. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Robert Porter Caldwell". The Political Graveyard. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- United States Congress. "Robert Porter Caldwell (id: C000040)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Robert Porter Caldwell at Find a Grave
|U.S. House of Representatives|
|Preceded by |
Isaac R. Hawkins
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives |
from Tennessee's 7th congressional district