The examples and perspective in this article may not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Registered trademark symbol
|In Unicode||U+00AE ® REGISTERED SIGN (HTML |
|See also||U+2122 ™ TRADE MARK SIGN (HTML |
U+2120 ℠ SERVICE MARK (HTML
|Different from||U+24C7 Ⓡ CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER R (HTML |
The registered trademark symbol (®) is a symbol that provides notice that the preceding word or symbol is a trademark or service mark that has been registered with a national trademark office. A trademark is a symbol, word, or words legally registered or established by use as representing a company or product. In some countries it is against the law to use the registered trademark symbol for a mark that is not officially registered in any country.
Trademarks not officially registered can instead be marked with the trademark symbol ™, while unregistered service marks are marked with the service mark symbol ℠. The proper manner to display these symbols is immediately following the mark; the symbol is commonly in superscript style, but that is not legally required.
Because the ® symbol is not commonly available on typewriters (or ASCII), it is common to approximate it with the characters (R) (or (r)); for example the Python programming language Trademark Usage Policy advocates this usage. Example of legal equivalents are the phrase Registered, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, which may be abbreviated to Reg U.S. Pat & TM Off., in the U.S., and the letters RTM in the UK.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The registered trademark character was added to several extended ASCII character sets, including ISO-8859-1 from which it was inherited by Unicode as U+00AE ® REGISTERED SIGN. This is a different character from U+24C7 Ⓡ CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER R as many fonts draw the registered trademark symbol smaller and possibly superscripted.
Typing the character
- US international keyboard and UK extended keyboard layouts: AltGr+R (subject to OS support).
- Microsoft Windows: Alt+0174 (on numeric keypad)
- Mac OS: ⌥ Option+R
- Linux: ComposeOR
- Linux and Chrome OS: Ctrl+⇧ Shift+U then AEspace
- Emacs: C-x8R
\textregisteredin text mode.
\circledRin text or math mode (requires amsfonts package)
Related and similar symbols
- The trademark symbol, ™, used for unregistered trademarks
- The service mark symbol, ℠, used for unregistered service marks
- The copyright symbol, ©
- The sound recording copyright symbol, ℗
- The Orthodox Union hechsher symbol, Ⓤ
- UK IPO, one example of a national trademark office
- "15 U.S.C. 1111". Retrieved December 15, 2005.
- The Online Etymology Dictionary
- PSF Trademark Usage Policy. https://www.python.org/psf/trademarks/ "The first or most prominent mention of a Python trademark should be immediately followed by a symbol for registered trademark: "®" or "(r)"."
- Gregory H. Guillot. A Guide to Proper Trademark Use. 1995–2007. http://www.ggmark.com/guide.html
- The Unicode Standard, Version 9.0, C1 Controls and Latin-1 Supplement (PDF). Mountain View, CA: Unicode Consortium. 2016. pp. 0080–00FF. ISBN 978-1-936213-13-9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to R (registered trademark).|