The Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics (NUTS) is a geocode standard for referencing the subdivisions of Ireland for statistical purposes. The standard is developed and regulated by the European Union. The NUTS standard is instrumental in delivering the European Union's Structural Funds. The NUTS code for Ireland is IE and a hierarchy of three levels is established by Eurostat. Below these is a further levels of geographic organisation - the local administrative unit (LAU). In Ireland, the LAUs are electoral divisions.
|NUTS 2 statistical regions||3|
|NUTS 3 statistical regions||8|
|Local administrative units||3,441|
NUTS levels 1, 2 and 3
|NUTS 1||Code||NUTS 2||Code||NUTS 3||Code||Local Government areas|
Éire / Ireland
|IE0||Northern and Western||IE04||Border Region||IE041||Cavan, Donegal, Leitrim, Monaghan, Sligo|
|West Region, Ireland||IE042||Mayo, Roscommon, Galway and Galway City|
|Southern||IE05||Mid-West Region, Ireland||IE051||Clare, Tipperary, Limerick City & County|
|South-East Region, Ireland||IE052||Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Waterford City & County|
|South-West Region, Ireland||IE053||Kerry, Cork and Cork City|
|Eastern and Midland||IE06||Dublin Region||IE061||Dublin City, Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown, Fingal and South Dublin|
|Mid-East Region, Ireland||IE062||Kildare, Meath, Wicklow, Louth|
|Midlands Region, Ireland||IE063||Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath|
Demographic statistics by NUTS 3 region
|Regional Authority||Population (2016)||% of population||Area (km²)||Population density||Capital(s)|
Local administrative units
Each of the three NUTS 2 regions has a Regional Assembly. Prior to 2014, the eight NUTS 3 regions had Regional Authorities. The 2014 act abolished these and transferred their functions to the Regional Assemblies. Assembly members are nominated by constituent local authorities from among their elected councillors. Regions are intended to foster co-ordination and co-operation between local authorities.
- ISO 3166-2 codes of Ireland
- FIPS region codes of Ireland
- List of Irish regions by Human Development Index
- Local government in the Republic of Ireland
- Regional Authorities in Ireland
- Structural Funds and Cohesion Fund
- LAU codes
- Hierarchical list of the Nomenclature of territorial units for statistics - NUTS and the Statistical regions of Europe
- Overview map of EU Countries - NUTS level 1
- Correspondence between the NUTS levels and the national administrative units
- "Revision to the Irish NUTS2 and NUTS3 regions". cso.ie.
- Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/2066 of 21 November 2016 amending the annexes to Regulation (EC) No 1059/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the establishment of a common classification of territorial units for statistics (NUTS)
- "NATIONAL STRUCTURES (EU-28)". Eurostat. 30 November 2018. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "S.I. No. 228/2014 - Local Government Act 1991 (Regional Authorities) (Amendment) Order 2014". Irish Statute Book. 29 May 2014. Retrieved 24 March 2019.; "S.I. No. 573/2014 - Local Government Act 1991 (Regional Assemblies) (Establishment) Order 2014". Irish Statute Book. 16 December 2014. Retrieved 24 March 2019.