Uruguay, officially the Eastern Republic of Uruguay or the Republic East of the Uruguay (River), is a country located in southern South America. It is bordered by Brazil to the north, the Uruguay River to the west, the estuary of the Río de la Plata (literally "River of Silver", but commonly known in English as "River Plate") to the southwest, with Argentina on the other bank of both, and finally the South Atlantic Ocean to the southeast. About half of its people live in the capital and largest city, Montevideo. The nation is the second smallest independent country in South America, larger only than Suriname (it is also larger than French Guiana, which is not independent), and is the most politically and economically stable.
Carlos Páez Vilaró (1 November 1923 – 24 February 2014) was a renowned Uruguayan abstract artist, painter, potter, sculptor, muralist, writer, composer and constructor. Born in Montevideo, Uruguay, in 1923, he took up drawing in 1939 and relocated to Buenos Aires, where he worked as a printing apprentice in the industrial Barracas section of the Argentine capital. Returning to Montevideo in the late 1940s, he developed an interest in Afro-Uruguayan culture. ...
- Read more...
- Previously featured people
Users who look after this Portal
The Uruguay storm of April 2016 was a strong tornado that swept across southwestern Uruguay on April 15, 2016, striking the city of Dolores, destroying buildings and machinery. Four people were reported dead and left more than 200 injured. Uruguay declared a state of emergency afterwards and was later rated an F2 tornado.
Below are the main subcategories of Category Uruguay:
For the fully expanded tree of Uruguay Categorization, see the Uruguay categorization tree.
Did you know
- ...that rugby union in Uruguay is a major sport, and that they have qualified for the Rugby World Cup?
- ...that Uruguay is a major importer/exporter of Software in South America?
- ...that Uruguay is the most politically and economically stable country in Latin America?
- ...that the Human Resources consulting has declared Montevideo one of the cities with the highest quality of life?
- ...that Colonia del Sacramento is designated as a World Heritage Site?
- ...that Uruguay was ranked an all-time high 3rd in the FIFA rankings after finishing 4th in the 2010 world cup while Diego Forlan claimed golden ball for the best player in the tournament. They repeated their success by winning the Copa America the following year in 2011, beating hosts Argentina in the quarter-finals and then going on to win the finals against Paraguay.
- ...that Uruguay hosted the first ever FIFA World Cup in 1930, which they won after beating Argentina in the finals 4-2.
Things you can do
Articles that need Attention
- –When a task is completed, please remove it from the list.
|Barnstar of National Merit of Uruguay |
| || ||"It may be awarded to an editor who contributes significantly by expanding or improving Wikipedia's coverage of any past or present continent or regional grouping, country, or subnational place such as a province or city." |