|Papacy began||16 May 1003|
|Papacy ended||6 November 1003|
|Birth name||Giovanni Sicco|
|Born||Rome, Papal States|
|Died||6 November 1003|
Rome, Papal States, Holy Roman Empire
|Other popes named John|
Pope John XVII (Latin: Ioannes XVII; died 6 November 1003) was Pope for about seven months from 16 May to 6 November 1003. He was born John Sicco, the son of another John Sicco, in the region of Rome then referred to as Biveretica. He succeeded Pope Silvester II.
John XVII was nominated to the papacy by John Crescentius, a Roman noble who held power in the city in opposition to Emperor Otto III. John XVII's successor, Pope John XVIII, was also selected by Crescentius.
John died on 6 November 1003 and was buried in the Lateran Basilica between the two doors of the principal façade. According to John the Deacon, his epitaph began by stating that "here is the tomb of the supreme John, who is said to be Pope, for so he was called."
Confusion over ordinals
The previous legitimate Pope John is generally considered to be John XV (985–996). John XVI (997–998) was an antipope according to official reckoning, and thus his regnal number XVI should have been reused. But this did not occur, and the sequencing has never been corrected.
- Kirsch, Johann Peter (1910). Catholic Encyclopedia. 9. New York: Robert Appleton Company. . In Herbermann, Charles (ed.).
- Mann, Horace Kinder (1906). The Lives of the Popes in the Early Middle Ages. Volume 5: The Popes In The Days of Feudal Anarchy, from Formosus to Damasus II, Part 2. London: Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner & Co.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "John XVII". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Udo Tavares (1992). "Johannes XVII.". In Bautz, Friedrich Wilhelm (ed.). Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL) (in German). 3. Herzberg: Bautz. cols. 217–220. ISBN 3-88309-035-2.
- John N. D. Kelly: Reclams Lexikon der Päpste. 2nd edition, Reclam, Stuttgart, 2005 ISBN 3-15-010588-9, sub voce.
- Antonio Sennis: Giovanni XVII. In: Massimo Bray (ed.): Enciclopedia dei Papi, Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana, Vol. 2 (Niccolò I, santo, Sisto IV), Rome, 2000, OCLC 313581688, pp. 125–126.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John XVII.|
|Catholic Church titles|
|Preceded by |
| Pope |