- Not to be confused with the Patriarch Theodore II of Alexandria (Coadjutor).
- For the Coptic Orthodox Pope with the same name and title, see Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria.
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa|
|Church||Greek Orthodox Church of Alexandria|
|Installed||October 24, 2004|
|Birth name||Nikolaos Horeftakis|
|Born||November 25, 1954|
Chania Prefecture, Crete, Greece
|Denomination||Eastern Orthodox Church|
|Alma mater||Rizarios Ecclesiastical School|
Theodore (Theodoros) II (Greek: Πάπας και Πατριάρχης Αλεξανδρείας και πάσης Αφρικής Θεόδωρος Β΄; born Nikolaos Horeftakis (Νικόλαος Χορευτάκης), November 25, 1954) is the current Eastern Orthodox Patriarch of Alexandria and all Africa. He is formally styled His Divine Beatitude the Pope and Patriarch of the Great City of Alexandria, Libya, Pentapolis, Ethiopia, All Egypt and All Africa, Father of Fathers, Pastor of Pastors, Prelate of Prelates, the Thirteenth of the Apostles and Judge of the Ecumene. He is the leader of the Eastern Orthodox Church in Africa and Madagascar. He is a monk in the Agarathos Holy Monastery of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.
Early life and educational background
He was born on the Greek island of Crete in 1954, where he completed his schooling. He is a graduate of the Rizarios Ecclesiastical School in Athens and holds a degree from the Theological Faculty of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. He also studied History of Art, Literature and Philosophy in Odessa.
He ordained as Deacon in 1975 and the Archbishopric on 23 April 1978 by Metropolitan of Lambis and Sfakion Theodore Tzedakis. From 1975 to 1985 he served as Archdeacon and Chancellor of the Holy Metropolis of Lambis and Sfakion in Crete, where he developed significant Preaching and Philanthropic activities (hostels for needy youth, etc.). From 1985 to 1990 he served as Patriarchal Exarch in Russia, based in the Ukrainian city of Odessa, during the tenure of Patriarchs Nicholas VI and Parthenios.
Years of Ministry
Theodore established the Institution of Hellenic Culture and the Philiki Eterea Museum with 600 children, where they were taught a thorough knowledge of Greek. In 1990, he was ordained Bishop of Kyrene and was appointed Representative of Patriarch Parthenios in Athens (1990–97). He always accompanied Patriarch Parthenios on his travels throughout Africa and to many international, interfaith and theological conferences.
In 1997, he was appointed Patriarchal Vicar of Alexandria by Patriarch Petros VII to assist him at the outset of his Patriarchate and after ten months he was elected as Metropolitan of Cameroon. He greatly developed missionary activity there. He built churches, schools and hospitals, helping many Africans and local Greeks. In 2002, he was transferred to the Holy Metropolis of Zimbabwe, where he established four missionary centres in Harare, a Hellenic Cultural Centre for 400 delegates, two large missionary centres in Malawi, with a hospital, technical schools and nursery schools. Aided by the Greek Parliament he renovated the Hellenic Square (School-Church-Vicarage) in Beira, Mozambique. He founded churches and contributed to the establishment of the Hellenic Communities of Botswana and Angola.
Patriarch of Alexandria
In the wake of the death of Patriarch Petros and other senior bishops in a helicopter crash in the Aegean Sea, Theodore was unanimously elected on October 9, 2004 by the Synod of the Alexandrian Throne as Patriarch. The enthronement ceremony took place at the Cathedral of Annunciation in Alexandria, on Sunday, October 24, 2004, in the presence of distinguished religious and civilian representatives and a great number of faithful. He is the seventh of Crete origin Patriarch of Alexandria after Silvester, Meletius Pigas, Cyrillos Lucaris, Gerasimus Palladas, Gerasimus Spartaliotis and Meletius Metaxakis.
- Order of Friendship (Russia, September 17, 2009) - for the great contribution to the development of cooperation between the Russian Federation and the Arab Republic of Egypt
- Order of Prince Yaroslav the Wise I degree (Ukraine, July 27, 2013) - for outstanding church activities aimed at raising the authority of Orthodoxy in the world, and on the occasion of celebrating in Ukraine the 1025th anniversary of the baptism of Kievan Rus'
- Order of the Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Grand Prince Vladimir I degree (ROC, 2007)
- Order of Glory and Honor I degree (ROC, 2013)
- Order of the UOC-MP of the Monks Anthony and Theodosius of the Kiev-Pechersk I degree (2007)
- The Golden Order of St. George (Georgian Orthodox Church, 2008)
- The Patriarch Alexy II Prize "For outstanding activities to strengthen the unity of Orthodox peoples. For the approval and promotion of Christian values in the life of society" (2012)
- Order of the Serbian flag of the I degree (September 26, 2017, Serbia)
- Medal of the Holy Apostle and Evangelist John the Theologian, 1st Degree (December 6, 2017, St. Petersburg Theological Academ)
- "AngolaPress - News". www.angolapress-angop.ao. Retrieved 2008-05-12.[permanent dead link]
- Блаженнейший Патриарх Александрийский Феодор II(Blessed Patriarch Theodore II of Alexandria) (In Russian) Retrieved on 28 Feb 2018
- Состоялась интронизация новоизбранного Предстоятеля Александрийской Православной Церкви (in Russian) Archived 2018-02-28 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on 28 Feb 2018
- Предстоятели Александрийской и Русской Православных Церквей вручили друг другу церковные награды Retrieved on 28 Feb 2018
- Состоялась встреча Святейшего Патриарха Кирилла с Предстоятелем Александрийской Православной Церкви Retrieved on 28 Feb 2018
- Александрийский Патриарх удостоен высшей награды Грузинской Православной Церкви Retrieved on 28 Feb 2018
- Состоялась братская беседа Предстоятеля Русской Православной Церкви с Блаженнейшим Патриархом Александрийским Феодором Retrieved on 28 Feb 2018
- Alexandrian Patriarch Theodoros II awarded by President of Serbia Aleksandar Vucic with the order of Great Cross of Apostle Mark. A high state order handed in to Patriarch Theodoros II Retrieved on 28 Feb 2018
- «НЕСМОТРЯ НА ТО, ЧТО НА ГОЛОВЕ У МЕНЯ ТИАРА, А НА ГРУДИ ПАНАГИЯ – В СЕРДЦЕ Я ОСТАЮСЬ МИССИОНЕРОМ». ПАТРИАРХ ФЕОДОР II ПОСЕТИЛ ДУХОВНУЮ АКАДЕМИЮ Retrieved on 28 Feb 2018
- "Biography of Theodoros II". Official web site of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and All Africa. Retrieved 2011-02-08.
|Eastern Orthodox Church titles|
|Preceded by |
| Greek Patriarch of Alexandria |