Fragment of Uncial 0191, 6th century bilingual Greek-Coptic manuscript of the Gospels with text of Luke 11:51-12:5
|Book||Gospel of Luke|
|Christian Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Christian part||3|
Luke 11 is the eleventh chapter of the Gospel of Luke in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. It records Luke's version of the Lord's Prayer and several parables and teachings told by Jesus Christ. The book containing this chapter is anonymous, but early Christian tradition uniformly affirmed that Luke composed this Gospel as well as the Acts of the Apostles.
Some early manuscripts containing the text of this chapter are:
- Papyrus 75 (written about AD 175-225)
- Papyrus 45 (c. 250)
- Codex Vaticanus (325-350)
- Codex Sinaiticus (330-360)
- Codex Bezae (c. 400)
- Codex Washingtonianus (c. 400)
- Codex Alexandrinus (400-440)
- Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus (c. 450)
The Lord's Prayer
Keep Asking, Seeking, Knocking
- Ask, and it will be given to you 
- (Greek: αιτειτε και δοθησεται υμιν, aiietie kai dothēsetai hymin)
The text here mirrors Luke's text at 6:38:
- Give, and it will be given to you
- (δίδοτε καὶ δοθήσεται ὑμῖν, didote kai dothēsetai hymin)
God's responsiveness to persistent prayer can be understood in the light of a parable about persistence in seeking help from a neighbour. German theologian Heinrich Meyer notes that Jesus argues a minori ad majus (from the lesser to the greater), a mode of reasoning similar to the Kal vachomer reasoning of Hillel the Elder.
He who does not gather with me scatters
Luke 11:23b, also Matthew 12:30 Baptist theologian John Gill suggests that "the allusion is either to the gathering of the sheep into the fold, and the scattering of them by the wolf; or to the gathering of the wheat, and binding it in sheaves, and bringing it home in harvest; and to the scattering of the wheat loose in the field, whereby it is lost".
- Lord's Prayer
- Ministry of Jesus
- Parable of the Strong Man
- Related Bible parts: Jonah 1; Matthew 6, 7, 12, 16, 23; Mark 3, 12; Luke 20
- Halley, Henry H. Halley's Bible Handbook: an Abbreviated Bible Commentary. 23rd edition. Zondervan Publishing House. 1962.
- Holman Illustrated Bible Handbook. Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville, Tennessee. 2012.
- Luke 11:1
- Luke 11:9
- Meyer, H., Meyer's NT Commentary on Luke 11, accessed 16 June 2018
- Gill, J. (1746–48), Gill's Exposition on Luke 11, accessed 17 June 2018
- Luke 11 King James Bible - Wikisource
- English Translation with Parallel Latin Vulgate
- Online Bible at GospelHall.org (ESV, KJV, Darby, American Standard Version, Bible in Basic English)
- Multiple bible versions at Bible Gateway (NKJV, NIV, NRSV etc.)
|Preceded by |
| Chapters of the Bible |
Gospel of Luke