This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Khar is a suburb of Mumbai, north of Bandra and south of Santa Cruz. It is divided into Khar West and Khar East areas. It is serviced by Khar Road railway station of the Mumbai Suburban Railway network. It is an area within convenient distance of schools, restaurants, and shopping centres.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Khar (East) still is a little crowded and undeveloped. Khar (West) has gained popularity as a highly-rated areas to reside in, in Mumbai due to its proximity to Bandra a plush suburb and accessibility. Khar (West) is a very peaceful area and evergreen throughout the year.
Pathare Prabhus were one of the earliest inhabitants of Khar. The Pathare Prabhu community lived in South Mumbai and used their bungalows in Khar during weekends. The community still has control over a large area in Khar.
Khar is home to many Bollywood celebrities and business industrialists. Aamir Khan, Ashutosh Gowarikar, Karisma Kapoor and Ranveer Singh, John Abraham, Shilpa Shirodkar, Anuradha Paudwal and Srijit Mukherji live in Khar (West), and it was once inhabited by stars like Dilip Kumar and his wife Saira Banu, Sunil Dutt and Nargis with son Sanjay Dutt, Manoj Kumar, Sadhana and music director/singer Hemant Mukherjee and Shailendra. Khar is also home to union minister of railways, Suresh Prabhu, Sharukh Khans office Gauri Khan production house is at Khar and Mahesh Bhatt's office is also located here.
It is an area within convenient distances to many pharmacies,parks and colleges,schools,restaurants,etc.
Khar also has some great sports facilities. Khar Gymkhana is one of Mumbai's most exclusive and prestigious sports clubs. The Wellington Catholic Gymkhana is also located in Khar. There are a number of turfs that have come up in Khar for playing cricket and football.
Schools and colleges
Following are the educational institutions located at Khar:
- Podar International School (IB & CAIE)
- ST Elias High School
- B.P.M. High School
- Sacred Heart Boys School
- Khar Education Society's College of Commerce & Economics.
- M.M. Pupils
- Kamla High School and Jr. College
- Bloomingdales Pre-primary / Jasudben M. L. School (ICSE)
- R.V. Technical high School
- Guru Nanak High School
- Beacon High
- Anuyog Vidyalaya
- Cardinal Gracious High School
- Shankar Mandir
- Maruai Devi Mandir
- Shree Siddhivinayak Devastan
- Digamber Jain Temple
- Ahimsa Bhawan Jain Sthanak on 14A Road.
- Jain Temple at 5th Road.
- St. Vincent De Paul Church, Khar.
- Ghanteshwar Mandir Khar west
- Gayatri Mandir 12th Road Khar west
- Ram Mandir 12th Road Khar west
- Rama Krishna Mission 12th Road Khar west
- Guru Gangeshwar Dham 6th Road Khar west
- Khatwari Darbar Linking Road Khar west
- Shri Guru Singh Sabha Gurudwara Station Road Khar west
- Khar Markaz Masjid Old Khar Khar west
- Shri Aniruddha Gurukshetram, Old Khar
- Mahavir Hospital on Ahimsa Marg (14A Road)
- Hinduja hospital
- Ram krishna mission hospital
- Beams Hospital 18A Road Khar west
- "[http://kharwest.com/blog/khar-danda-khar-west/ Khar Danda." - Khar Danda is famous for its Fish Market and Thursday Market, Khar West blog
- "Tiger Shroff snapped at Mahesh Bhatt's office in Khar". Times of India.