Joseph Hasbrouck Tuthill
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from New York's 13th district
March 4, 1871 – March 3, 1873
|Preceded by||John A. Griswold|
|Succeeded by||John O. Whitehouse|
|Born||February 25, 1811|
Blooming Grove, New York, United States
|Died||July 27, 1877 (aged 66)|
Ellenville, New York, United States
|Resting place||Fantinekill Cemetery, Ellenville, New York, United States|
|Relatives||Selah Tuthill (uncle)|
He moved to New York City in 1828, Ulsterville (now a hamlet of Wawarsing) in 1832, and Ellenville (also part of Wawarsing) in 1834. Tuthill was a merchant and farmer, including serving as President of the Ellenville Glass Works and President of the Ellenville Savings Bank. In addition, he served as Ellenville's Postmaster.
During the Civil War Tuthill served as Excise Commissioner for Ulster County, responsible for collecting taxes on goods and services levied to support the war effort and assessing fines on individuals who attempted to evade paying the taxes.
Tuthill was an unsuccessful candidate for Congress in 1866. In 1870 he ran successfully for a seat in the Forty-second Congress and served one term, March 4, 1871 to March 3, 1873.
Death and burial
He died in Ellenville on July 27, 1877. He was interred in Fantinekill Cemetery, near Ellenville.
- Thomas William Herringshaw, Herringshaw's Encyclopedia of American Biography of the Nineteenth Century, 1904, page 949
- Hamilton Child, Gazetteer and Business Directory of Ulster County, N.Y. for 1871-2, 1871, page 295
- United States Civil Service Commission, Official Register of the United States, September 1841, page 74
- Ulster County Board of Supervisors, Proceedings of the Board of Supervisors of Ulster County, 1921, page 354
- Ulster County Legislature, Proceedings of the Ulster County Legislature, 1864, page 19
- Thomas E. Spencer, Where They're Buried, 1998, page 254
- Jeffrey D. Schultz, editor, The Encyclopedia of the Democratic Party, Volume 3, 1997, page 392
- United States Congress. "Joseph H. Tuthill (id: T000437)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Joseph H. Tuthill at Find a Grave
|U.S. House of Representatives|
|Preceded by |
John A. Griswold
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives |
from New York's 13th congressional district
John O. Whitehouse
This article incorporates public domain material from the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress website http://bioguide.congress.gov.