John W. Ferdon
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from New York's 14th district
March 4, 1879 – March 3, 1881
|Preceded by||George M. Beebe|
|Succeeded by||Lewis Beach|
|Member of the New York State Senate for the 7th District|
January 1, 1856 – December 31, 1857
|Preceded by||William H. Robertson|
|Succeeded by||John Doherty|
|Member of the New York State Assembly for Rockland County|
January 1, 1855 – December 31, 1855
|Preceded by||John I. Suffern|
|Succeeded by||Edward Whritenour|
|Born||December 13, 1826|
Piermont, New York, U.S.
|Died||August 5, 1884 (aged 57)|
Monmouth Beach, New Jersey
|Political party||Know Nothing|
|Alma mater||Rutgers College|
Ferndon was married to Harriet Strong (1825–1893), a daughter of prominent mathematician and professor Theodore Strong. His wife was the aunt of New Jersey State Senator Theodore Strong. Together, they were the parents of five children, three daughters and two sons:
- Lucy Dix Ferdon (1851–1896), who married Hoffman Rogers (1846–1912), a descendant of William Bayard Jr., in 1872.
- James Perry Ferdon (1856–1937).
- Elizabeth Perry Ferdon (1857–1896), who married George Matthew Gillies (1859–1918).
- Mary Van Dyke Ferdon (1860–1924), who married William Herbert Shaw (1857–1915).
- Theodore William Dwight Ferdon (1869–1904).
Ferdon died of kidney disease after an illness of six weeks on August 5, 1884 in Monmouth Beach, New Jersey. He was buried at a private cemetery on the Ferdon estate in Piermont, New York. His home at Piermont, known as Ferdon Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.
- "FERDON, John William - Biographical Information". bioguide.congress.gov. Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "HARRIET S. FERDON -- Death of a Woman Formerly a Resident of New Brunswick". The Daily Times. October 4, 1893. p. 1. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- Bradley, Joseph P. (1879). A Memoir of Theodore Strong, LL.D.: Prepared at the Request of The National Academy of Science, and Read Before that Body, Thursday Evening, April 17, 1879. Joseph L. Pearson. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- Dwight, Benjamin Woodbridge (1871). The History of the Descendants of Elder John Strong, of Northampton, Mass. J. Munsell. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- Rogers, James Swift (1902). James Rogers of New London, Ct: And His Descendants. The Compiler. p. 241. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- Who's Who in Chicago. A.N. Marquis & Company. 1926. p. 338. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography: Current volume. J.T. White. 1930. p. 78. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "JOHN W. FERDON". The New York Times. August 7, 1884. p. 5. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 5/16/11 through 5/20/11. National Park Service. 2011-05-27.
- United States Congress. "John W. Ferdon (id: F000079)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- John W. Ferdon at Find a Grave
|New York Assembly|
|Preceded by |
John I. Suffern
| New York State Assembly |
|New York State Senate|
|Preceded by |
William H. Robertson
| New York State Senate |
|U.S. House of Representatives|
|Preceded by |
George M. Beebe
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives |
from New York's 14th congressional district