John Paine Cushman
|Judge of the Third Circuit Court|
1838 – 1844
|Preceded by||James Vanderpoel|
|Succeeded by||Amasa J. Parker|
|Member of the United States House of Representatives from New York's 10th District|
March 4, 1817 – March 3, 1819
|Preceded by||Hosea Moffitt|
|Succeeded by||John D. Dickinson|
|Born||March 8, 1784|
Plainfield, Windham County, Connecticut
|Died||September 16, 1848 (aged 64)|
Troy, Rensselaer County, New York
|Spouse(s)||Maria Jones Tallmadge|
|Relations||Benjamin Tallmadge |
|Alma mater||Yale College|
Litchfield Law School
Cushman attended the common schools and Plainfield Academy, and graduated from Yale College in 1807. Then he studied law at the Litchfield Law School, was admitted to the bar in 1809, and commenced practice in Troy, New York.
In 1817, Cushman was elected as a Federalist to the 15th United States Congress with 54.98% of the popular vote, topping the incumbent Hosea Moffitt, a fellow Federalist. After holding office from March 4, 1817, to March 3, 1819, Cushman resumed the practice of law.
He was a regent of the University of the State of New York from April 1830 until April 1834, when he resigned. He was a trustee of Union College from 1833 until his death. He was Recorder of Troy from 1834 to 1838, and Judge of the Third Circuit from 1838 to 1844.
While in law school he met and married Maria Jones Tallmadge (1790–1878), the daughter of Benjamin Tallmadge, a Revolutionary War officer who was the leader of the Culper Ring who later became a U.S. Representative, and sister of Frederick A. Tallmadge. Together, they had:
- Julia Paine Cushman (b. 1822), who married Amos Henry Farnsworth (b. 1825) in 1850.
- Tallmadge Cushman
- Edward Cushman
- Harriet Delafield Cushman (1825-1897), who married Col. George Thatcher Balch (1828–1894).
- Mary Floyd Cushman (1827–1916), who married Edward C. Williams (1820–1913)
- John Paine Cushman, Jr. (1830–1901), a Presbyterian minister, who married H. Caroline Maltby in 1860.
- "CUSHMAN, John Paine - Biographical Information". bioguide.congress.gov. Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "John P. Cushman - NY District 10 Race - Apr 30, 1816". www.ourcampaigns.com. Our Campaigns. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- Talmadge, Arthur White (1909). The Talmadge, Tallmadge and Talmage genealogy; being the descendants of Thomas Talmadge of Lynn, Massachusetts, with an appendix including other families. New York: The Grafton press. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- 1844, Harvard College (1780-) Class of (1896). The Class of 1844, Harvard College: Fifty Years After Graduation. Cambridge, Massachusetts: John Wilson and Son. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Rev. J. P. Cushman". The Congregationalist. W.L. Greene & Company. 1 January 1901. p. 303. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- United States Congress. "John P. Cushman (id: C001019)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- John P. Cushman at Find a Grave
|U.S. House of Representatives|
|Preceded by |
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives |
from New York's 10th congressional district
John D. Dickinson
|Preceded by |
| Judge of the Third Circuit Court |
Amasa J. Parker