|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from New York's 10th district
March 4, 1843 – March 3, 1845
|Preceded by||Daniel D. Barnard|
|Succeeded by||Samuel Gordon|
|Born||January 26, 1786|
Saugerties, New York
|Died||September 30, 1867 (aged 81)|
Saugerties, New York
Born in Saugerties, New York, Russell received limited schooling. His father died when Russell was nine years old, and he aided in the support of his family by working on local farms until becoming a clerk in a store in order to learn the retail business.
He served as postmaster in Saugerties, and engaged in several business ventures, including ownership of a general store shipbuilding, real estate, road and turnpike construction, and banking. Russell later transferred most of his business ventures to his sons and concentrated on banking.
He served Town Supervisor from 1825 to 1828, 1830 to 1833, and 1837 to 1840. He was twice a presidential elector, casting his ballot for Andrew Jackson and John C. Calhoun in 1828, and for Martin Van Buren and Richard Mentor Johnson in 1836. Russell was a member of the New York State Assembly in 1842.
Russell was elected as a Democrat to the Twenty-eighth Congress (March 4, 1843 – March 3, 1845). He was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1844 to the Twenty-ninth Congress, and afterwards resumed his banking and business interests.
Death and burial
Russell was married twice. In 1806 he married Elizabeth Moose (1788-1846). In 1847 he married Christina Crawford (1801-1883).
- Proceedings of the Board of Supervisors of Ulster County. Freeman Publishing Company: Kingston, NY. 1920. p. 351.
- Sylvester, Nathaniel Bartlett (1880). History of Ulster County, New York. Philadelphia, PA: Everts & Peck. p. 100.
- Civil List and Forms of Government of the Colony and State of New York. Albany, NY: Weed, Parsons and Company. 1879. p. 256.
- Barbour, Oliver L. (1872). Reports of Cases in Law and Equity in the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Volume LXII. Albany, NY: W. C. Little & Co. p. 93.
- Yerry, Karin (June 12, 2014). "Russell History in Saugerties". Saugerties Post Star. Saugerties, NY.[permanent dead link]
- Nelson, F. R. (1978). The Russell Register, Volumes 1-2. Riverside, CA: F. R. Nelson. p. 128.
- Brink, Benjamin Myer (1914). Olde Ulster; an Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Volume 10. KIngston, NY: R. W. Anderson & Son. p. 84.
- United States Congress. "Jeremiah Russell (id: R000528)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Jeremiah Russell at Find a Grave
|U.S. House of Representatives|
|Preceded by |
Daniel D. Barnard
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives |
from New York's 10th congressional district
This article incorporates public domain material from the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress website http://bioguide.congress.gov.
|This American politician–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a member of the New York State Assembly is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|