|Alma mater||Archbishop Moeller High School, Cincinnati, Ohio;Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa|
Alex Bury (m. 2008)
Jack Norris (born 1967) is an American dietitian and animal rights activist. He is Executive Director of Vegan Outreach, which he co-founded in 1993 with Matt Ball. He runs Vegan Outreach's Adopt A College program which began in 2003 and which organizes volunteers to hand out Vegan Outreach brochures on college campuses.
Early life and education
Norris is the author of Vitamin B12: Are You Getting It? and Staying Healthy On Plant-Based Diets.
Honors and awards
Norris is one of several people who provided information used in the writing of the book Striking at the Roots: A Practical Guide to Animal Activism (2008) by Mark Hawthorne.
Norris married vegan chef Alex Bury on September 11, 2008, in front of a KFC restaurant in Toronto, Canada. After the wedding, the guests were served vegan sandwiches that KFC had recently introduced to the public. Norris and Bury live in Davis, California.
- Norris, Jack. Vitamin B12: Are You Getting It? (web-based book)
|url=(help). VeganHealth.org.
- Norris, Jack. Staying Healthy On Plant-Based Diets (web-based reference)
- Norris, Jack; Messina, Virginia (2011-07-12). Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet. Da Capo Press. ISBN 978-0738214931.
- Wyrick, Jason (2008). "Interview with Jack Norris, President and Co-founder of Vegan Outreach". The Vegan Culinary Experience. Glendale, Arizona.
What touches me the most is how our leafleters stand out in rain, snow, or extremely hot weather day after day handing out our brochures because if they don't do it, no one will.Missing or empty
- Palmer, Sharon (2013-10-15). "An Interview with Jack Norris, co-founder of Vegan Outreach". Sharon Palmer, RD. Duarte, California.
[S]tanding up for those who are weaker than you, in this case animals, is a sign of strength, not weakness.Missing or empty
- "Jack Norris R.D. Answers Your Plant-Based Nutrition Questions!". MadeJustRight-EarthBalanceNatural. 2012-03-23.
All legumes products are good sources of protein, as is quinoa. Legumes include beans, peas, lentils, and peanuts.Missing or empty
- Hartglass, Caryn (2011-08-24). "Interview with Jack Norris and Virginia Messina". It’s All About Food. Forest Hills (New York City): Responsible Eating and Living.
Frances Moore Lappé was totally off, when she suggested that we need to combine protein to make up for these differences but she thought you had to do it at each meal and we later learned that you can do it throughout the day, which people are naturally going to do in most cases anyway.Missing or empty
- Southan, Rhys (2010-08-20). "Interview With a Vegan: Jack Norris RD". Let Them Eat Meat.
We want a way to reduce suffering that is sustainable. I have no problem with people eating eggs from rescued hens, but that's not a realistic model to promote for most people.Missing or empty
- Campbell-Giura, Dee (2012-03-20). "Meet Veg Fest speaker #2: Jack Norris R.D.". Ottawa, Canada: National Capital Vegetarian Association. Missing or empty
- Appleby, Paul (Spring 2013). "Vegan dietitians for life: Interview with Jack Norris & Ginny Messina". Vegan Views. Dorset, England. OCLC 70222982. Missing or empty
- Wyrick, Jason (2008). "Interview with Jack Norris, President and Co-founder of Vegan Outreach". The Vegan Culinary Experience. Glendale, Arizona. Archived from the original on 2014-03-17. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- Norris, Jack (2013-05-09). "White Blood Cells in Vegans". JackNorrisRD.com. Davis, California. Archived from the original on 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
I went vegan in 1988
- Hartglass, Caryn (2011-08-24). "Interview with Jack Norris and Virginia Messina". It’s All About Food. Forest Hills (New York City): Responsible Eating and Living. Archived from the original on 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
Jack won VegNews magazine's Columnist of the Year award for 2003 and 2004.
- "U.S. Animal Rights Hall of Fame". Animal Rights National Conference. Farm Animal Rights Movement. Archived from the original on 2014-03-17. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- Goddard, John (2008-09-12). "Vegans walk aisle with the Colonel". Toronto Star. Archived from the original on 2014-10-31. Retrieved 2014-10-31.
- Cellania, Miss (2010-03-11). "7 Retail Weddings". Mental Floss. Archived from the original on 2014-10-31. Retrieved 2014-10-31.