|Headquarters||Umhlanga, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa|
|South Africa, Africa|
|Gavin van Schoor (Managing Director)|
Illovo Sugar Africa (Pty) Ltd based in Umhlanga, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa is Africa's largest sugar producer. The group produces raw and refined sugar for local, regional African, European Union (EU), United States and world markets from sugar cane supplied by its own agricultural operations and independent growers who supply cane to Illovo's factories. It is a subsidiary of Associated British Foods Plc., which purchased 51% of the issued share capital which for more than £400m in 2006. In 2016 ABF bought the remaining 49% of the share capital.
Illovo employs more than 12,000 permanent staff and 18,000 more on a temporary basis. Illovo Sugar's subsidiary Zambia Sugar is listed on the Lusaka Stock Exchange, under the symbol ZSUG. In addition, its Malawian subsidiary Illovo Sugar Malawi is listed on the Malawi Stock Exchange, under the symbol ILLOVO.
Subsidiaries of Illovo include:
- Illovo Sugar South Africa based in Durban, South Africa
- Illovo Sugar Malawi based in Limbe, Malawi
- Kilombero Sugar in Tanzania
- Maragra Açúcar based in Maputo, Mozambique
- Ubombo Sugar of Eswatini (Swaziland)
- Zambia Sugar based in Mazabuka, Zambia
- Baker, Martin (10 December 2006). "The Rainmaker: 21st-century Gordon Gekko". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- Phillips, Lloyd (14 April 2016). "ABF offers to buy out the rest of Illovo Sugar". Farmer's Weekly. Retrieved 2017-06-27.
- "Illovo Sugar Limited". Full Disclosure 2016. Retrieved 2017-06-27.