Google Forms icon
An example of a Google Forms survey
|Initial release||February 6, 2008|
Google Forms is a survey administration app that is included in the Google Drive office suite along with Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides. Forms features all of the collaboration and sharing features found in Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
Updates and features
Google Forms is a tool that allows collecting information from users via a personalized survey or quiz. The information is then collected and automatically connected to a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is populated with the survey and quiz responses. The Forms service has undergone several updates over the years. New features include, but are not limited to, menu search, shuffle of questions for randomized order, limiting responses to once per person, shorter URLs, custom themes, automatically generating answer suggestions when creating forms, and an "Upload file" option for users answering questions that require them to share content or files from their computer or Google Drive. The upload feature is only available through G Suite. In October 2014, Google introduced add-ons for Google Forms, that enable third-party developers to make new tools for more features in surveys.
In July 2017, Google updated Forms to add several new features. "Intelligent response validation" is capable of detecting text input in form fields to identify what is written and ask the user to correct the information if wrongly input. Depending on file-sharing settings in Google Drive, users can request file uploads from individuals outside their respective company, with the storage cap initially set at 1 GB, which can be changed to 1 TB. A new checkbox grid enables multi-option answers in a table. In Settings, users can make changes that affect all new forms, such as always collecting email addresses.
Phishing & Fraud
Google Forms has been used recently for phishing by stealing users' passwords, presumably by imitating the Google Account login screen. As a result, Google advises its users not to submit passwords through Google Forms by adding a warning at the bottom of each form created.
- "About Fusion Tables". Fusion Tables Help. Google. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "Google Docs Support". Google. Google. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "Create a survey using Google Forms". Docs editors Help. Google. Retrieved October 30, 2016.
- "More ways to build and share Google Forms". G Suite Updates. Google. September 29, 2014. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- "Custom themes in Google Forms". G Suite Updates. Google. September 2, 2014. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- Weber, Ryan. "Five new ways to reach your goals faster with G Suite". Google. Google. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "Add-ons for Google Forms". G Suite Updates. Google. October 23, 2014. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- Lardinois, Frederic (July 10, 2017). "Google updates Forms with intelligent response validation, cross-domain uploads and more". TechCrunch. AOL. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Duino, Justin (July 10, 2017). "Google Forms becomes more powerful w/ new Intelligent response validation, 'Checkbox grid' questions, more". 9to5Google. Retrieved July 11, 2017.