|Name||Civil flag (Landesflagge)|
|Use||Civil flag and ensign|
Variant flag of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
|Name||State flag (Dienstflagge)|
|Use||State flag and ensign|
Five official proposed flags were put forward in 1990, but all were rejected. In the end, a design by Norbert Buske, then a member of the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern parliament, was adopted. It was not preferred by German vexillologists. For a short time in 1990, an unofficial flag (the tricolor of Mecklenburg, defaced with its arms) was used.
The civil flag (Landesflagge) shows five horizontal stripes, blue-white-yellow-white-red, shown in a range of proportions, most commonly 4:3:1:3:4. The blue stripe, defined as "ultramarinblau" (ultramarine), is topmost. The central stripe is yellow, the lowermost red ("zinnoberrot"). It reflects the state colors of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (blue, white, yellow and red), which are defined under Article 1 of the state's constitution. Both flags are flown with the proportions 3:5. It was created by merging the flags of Mecklenburg (a horizontal tricolor of blue-gold-red) and the Prussian Province of Pomerania (a bicolor of blue-white), in use since 1882.
|Blue (Ultramarinblau)||100/70/0/0||43||RAL 5002|
|Yellow (Gelb)||0/0/100/0||3||RAL 1021|
|Red (Zinnoberrot)||0/100/100/0||13||RAL 3020|
The state flag (Dienstflagge) is the civil flag, defaced with a bull's head and a griffin (two symbols from the coat of arms of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern). The central yellow stripe is interrupted for this purpose. It is flown as a jack by state police boats, and by official state bodies. It is also flown on official occasions. The bull's head is shown on the hoist, and the griffin on the fly.
- Flag Proposals 1990 (Mecklenburg-West Pomerania, Germany) at Flags of the World. Accessed 21 February 2010.
- Unofficial Flag used in 1990 at Flags of the World. Accessed 21 February 2010.
- Flag of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern at Flags of the World. Accessed 21 February 2010.
- Verfassung des Landes Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Constitution of the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern). Die Verfassungen in Deutschland. 2000, 2006. Accessed 21 February 2010. (in German)
- State flag. Mecklenburg-Vorpommern State Portal. Accessed 21 February 2010.