This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)"|
|Single by Aerosmith|
|from the album Nine Lives|
|Released||February 11, 1997|
|Genre||Hard rock, blues rock|
|Songwriter(s)||Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Glen Ballard|
|Aerosmith singles chronology|
"Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)" is a song performed by American hard rock band Aerosmith that appeared on the band's 1997 album Nine Lives. The song was written by Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, and Glen Ballard, who had signed on to produce Nine Lives. Although he was dropped from the role halfway through production and replaced by Kevin Shirley, Ballard was still credited for his contributions to the album; he also co-wrote "Pink" with Tyler and Perry and "Taste of India" with Tyler and Richard Supa.
Released as a single in February 1997, the song topped the Spanish Singles Chart and reached number two in Canada for four weeks. It also topped the UK Rock Chart and the US Billboard Mainstream Rock chart. Elsewhere, the song peaked at number seven in Finland and reached the top 30 in Iceland, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. On the US Billboard Hot 100, it reached number 35, becoming the second highest-charting song from the album on that chart, after "Pink".
"Falling in Love" was released as the first major single from Nine Lives in 1997. The song is certainly a rocking number, yet maintains the mainstream appeal found in the former Get a Grip singles. The horns arrangements were written by lead singer Steven Tyler and David Campbell.
Tyler got the inspiration for the title off a bumper sticker he saw a few years previously. The line "But you like the way I hold the microphone" was a reference to an almost identical line in The Rolling Stones' 1965 song "The Spider and the Fly".
The song was a popular hit around the world, reaching number 35 on the US Billboard Hot 100, number one on the US Mainstream Rock Tracks chart and in Spain, number two in Canada, number 22 on the UK Singles Chart, and number 46 in Australia.
A music video was produced to promote the single. The video was directed by Michael Bay, and had a surreal landscape described as "12 Monkeys meets Brazil", which was meant to parody grunge videos. Many supermodels, such as Angie Everhart, are featured dressed as nurses, dominatrices and princesses.
|1.||"Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)" (LP version)||3:25|
|2.||"Fall Together" (LP version)||4:38|
|3.||"Sweet Emotion" (LP version)||4:34|
|4.||"Seasons of Wither" (LP version)||5:39|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
The video for the song won the band a MTV Video Music Award for Best Rock Video in 1997.
- SPIN - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "Australian-charts.com – Aerosmith – Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Austriancharts.at – Aerosmith – Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 3176." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- "Aerosmith: Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Aerosmith – Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
- "Íslenski Listinn Topp 40 (13.3. '97 – 19.3. '97)". Dagblaðið Vísir (in Icelandic). March 14, 1997. Retrieved October 2, 2019.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Aerosmith – Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Notowanie nr794" (in Polish). LP3. April 18, 1997. Retrieved February 26, 2019. Cite magazine requires
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Aerosmith – Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)". Singles Top 100. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Swisscharts.com – Aerosmith – Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- "Official Rock & Metal Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- "Aerosmith Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- "Aerosmith Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- "Aerosmith Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- "RPM '97 Year End Top 100 Hit Tracks". RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- "American single certifications – Aerosmith – Falling in Love". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved October 29, 2018. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.