|Editor||Nu Yang (September 2019-present)|
|Former editors||Jeff Fleming (2010-2019)|
Robert U. Brown (1953-1999)
Greg Mitchell (2002-2009)
Mark Fitzgerald (January 2010-October 2010)
Kristina Ackermann (2010-2013)
Ed Zintel (June 2013-July 2014)
|Company||Curated Experiences Group|
|Based in||Tampa, Florida|
Editor & Publisher (E&P) is a monthly magazine covering the North American newspaper industry, with editorial offices in Irvine, California and business offices in Tampa, Florida. E&P calls itself "The Authoritative Voice of #NewsPublishing" and lays claim to being "the authoritative journal covering all aspects of the North American newspaper industry, including business, newsroom, advertising, circulation, marketing, technology, online and syndicates." In recent years the magazine has won numerous national awards, including several for its stories on coverage of the Iraq war.
Editor & Publisher traces its beginnings back to 1884, when The Journalist, its weekly predecessor, was founded. Editor & Publisher was born 17 years later and merged with The Journalist in 1907. E&P later acquired Newspaperdom, a trade journal for the newspaper industry that started in 1892. In 1927, E&P merged with another trade paper, The Fourth Estate. E&P was edited by Robert U. Brown from 1953 to 1999.
E&P was purchased in 1999 by VNU Business Media, later renamed the Nielsen Company, which also published Billboard, Adweek, Mediaweek, The Hollywood Reporter and many other business-to-business magazines.
A 2001 survey of 350 newspapers in six states indicated that copy editors and their supervisors were more likely to read E&P than any other magazine in the journalistic trade press, with 80.6% of copy editors and 90.6% of supervisors reporting that they read it either regularly or occasionally.
In December 2009, unable to find a buyer, owner Nielsen Co. decided to shutter the 125-year-old publication in January 2010. On January 14, 2010, however, the Duncan McIntosh Company (Irvine, California), publisher of Boating World, Sea Magazine and The Log newspaper, announced its purchase of Editor & Publisher. Greg Mitchell was replaced by Mark Fitzgerald, the journal's editor-at-large, and staffer Joe Strupp was also eliminated.
In October 2010, Mark Fitzgerald, Shawn Moynihan and Jim Rosenberg were laid off and replaced with employees from elsewhere in Duncan McIntosh Co.
In August 2019, Duncan Macintosh Company sold the publication to a Delaware based Limited Liability Corporation(LLC) named The Curated Experiences Group, who appointed Mike Blinder, a veteran newspaper consultant, as the new Publisher of the magazine. Nu Yang, E&P's Managing Editor under the Duncan Macintosh Company was elevated to the role of Editor in Chief by Blinder in September of 2019.
- Press Gazette – a similar publication for the British newspaper industry
- "Editor & Publisher Magazine: Since 1884, the Voice of News Publishing – Covering all aspects of the North American newspaper industry". Retrieved 2019-09-17.
- E&P Mission Statement. Archived 2011-06-10 at the Wayback Machine
- About Us Archived 2011-06-10 at the Wayback Machine, from E&P's official website
- The New York Times, 4 April 2008, Robert Brown, Chief of Editor & Publisher, Dies at 95
- Connecting With the News Culture: Trade-Press Readership Among Copy Editors and Their Supervisors AEJMC Conference Paper, Retrieved 14 October 2008
- Romenesko, Jim, 14 December 2009, Nielsen folds Editor & Publisher and Kirkus Reviews Archived 2009-12-13 at the Wayback Machine, Poynter Online.
- Vanacor, Andrew (2009-12-10). "Editor & Publisher closing". Huffington Post. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- Duncan McIntosh Company
- Boating World
- Sea Magazine
- The Log
- "Editor & Publisher to get new owner". Reuters. January 14, 2010. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- Milbourn, Mary Ann (2010-01-14). "OC boating publisher buys 'Bible' of newspaper industry". OC Register. Archived from the original on 2010-07-08. Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- "Editor & Publisher Staff Fired". The Maynard Institute. 2010-10-18. Archived from the original on 2010-11-09. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "Meet Mike Blinder, the Florida man trying to save the newspaper business". www.google.com. Retrieved 2019-09-17.
- "Editor and Publisher Sold to Media Consultant Mike Blinder – Editor & Publisher Magazine: Since 1884, the Voice of News Publishing". Retrieved 2019-09-17.