Dorothy Kelley Patterson (born 1943) was most recently professor of theology in women’s studies at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. She is the wife of former SWBTS president Paige Patterson.
Dorothy Patterson has degrees from Hardin-Simmons University, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, Luther Rice Seminary, and the University of South Africa. She has been described as "one of today's leading scholars on the topic of biblical womanhood."
Connections to SWBTS
While her husband was president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (SWBTS) from 2003 to 2018, Patterson was a faculty member in the School of Theology there. She was fired in 2018 after her husband was fired for his handling of rape investigations.
In 2013, Patterson initiated a 12-year project of installing over 60 stained glass windows on the SWBTS campus to honor leaders in the conservative resurgence. Two of the windows depicted Paige and Dorothy Patterson. 32 windows had been installed by April 2019, when SWBTS trustees decided to remove the windows from public view.
In May 2019, an SWBTS former student, named "Jane Roe" in legal papers, filed a lawsuit against Paige Patterson for threatening, intimidating, and humiliating her when she told him that she had been repeatedly raped at gunpoint in 2014 and 2015 by another seminary student. After Roe withdrew from SWBTS in 2015, Dorothy Patterson allegedly sent Jane Roe a message that she was "certainly doing the right thing to move away” and should not be “casting blame on someone else" for what happened.
- "Dorothy Patterson". Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- Malhotra, Ruth (12 May 2013). "Dorothy Patterson to Mothers and Daughters: Be Women of Vision, Creativity, and Courage". The Christian Post. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "School of Theology Faculty". Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Retrieved June 6, 2018.
- David Roach (2018-10-19). "Candi Finch confirms termination by SWBTS". Baptist Press. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- Allan, Bob (2019-04-12). "Seminary removes stained glass windows celebrating conservative takeover of SBC". Baptist News Global. Retrieved 2019-05-19.
- Robert Downen; Sarah Smith (June 21, 2019). "New lawsuit: Patterson, former Southern Baptist leader, humiliated woman who reported rape". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- Michael Gryboski (June 27, 2019). "Paige Patterson, seminary sued over alleged mishandling of sex abuse claim". Christian Post. Retrieved 2018-07-04.