|Directed by||B. Narsing Rao|
|Produced by||B. Narsing Rao|
|Written by||B. Narsing Rao|
|Cinematography||Apurba Kishore Bir|
|26 June 1988|
Daasi (English: The Courtesan) is a Telugu drama film written and directed by B. Narsing Rao starring Archana as Daasi Kamalakshi. The film won five National Film Awards. The film won Diploma of Merit award at the Moscow International Film Festival in 1989. The film was subsequently premiered at the 1989 International Film Festival of India.
The story is of Kamalakshi (Archana), a bonded woman known as Daasi in Hyderabad State in the 1920s in Telangana region. She has been sold by her family for money to be the servant of a wealthy couple. She is expected to do every chore imaginable in their house. She is also required to be the sexual toy of the man of the house (Dora) and his guests - anywhere and at any time of the day or night. When she becomes pregnant, she endures and hopes to keep the baby. However she is forced to have an abortion.
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu - B. Narsinga Rao
- National Film Award for Best Cinematography - Apurba Kishore Bir
- National Film Award for Best Actress - Archana
- National Film Award for Best Costume Design - Sudarshan
- National Film Award for Best Art Direction - T. Vaikundham
- "Telugu creative genius Narsingh Rao's films regale Delhi". News.webindia123.com. 21 December 2008. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
|This article about a Telugu-language film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|