|Colegio De Santa Rosa|
Façade and marker of Colegio de Santa Rosa in Intramuros
Colegio de Santa Rosa is a tertiary school in Manila, Philippines. It was established on August 30, 1750 as the Beaterio y Casa de Segunda Enseñanza by Mother Paula de la Santissima Trinidad to educate the indias, or native Filipinas. It acquired its present name on 1774 and is known for several other names including Colegio de Madre Paula and Beaterio y Casa de Enseñanza.
In 1739, a residential structure was demolished to pave way for the construction of Colegio de Santa Rosa. Plaza de Santo Tomas served as the pocket plaza between the Colegio de Santa Rosa and the former site of the University of Santo Tomas. The long, narrow plaza was dedicated to Thomas Aquinas. The statue of Fray Miguel de Benavides along with wrought iron fence attached in the 19th century and royal palms was also located at the middle of the plaza.
Paula de Santissima Trinidad, or Paula Tejedor del Atas was born in Apluxacalba, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain on 1713. She went to Lerida to work as a criada, or maid in order to immerse herself as a social worker. From Tarragona to Manresa, she arrived in Manila on July 15, 1750 with the purpose of establishing a school for indias, or native Filipinas. She pleaded donations to wealthy Spaniards such as Don Pedro González Quijano and Don Francisco Javier Salgado in order to sustain her advocacy in establishing the school. Two houses, along Calle Solana, in front of the portería of the convent of Santo Domingo and another one facing the chapel of the University of Santo Tomas, were given as donations, respectively.
In August 1750, along with the school, the beaterio was built and was placed under the protection of Santa Rosa de Lima. In September 22, 1774, the school and beaterio were placed under royal patronage - through the Real Cedula of 1774 by the Spanish Monarch Order. However, the institution must accept girls of other races in return. In June 16, 1782, she died and was buried at chapel of the Virgin in Santo Domingo.
Both institutions were later turned to the care of the Dominican friars, but passed to the Royal Audiencia in 1784, and then to a junta of alumnae and matrons of the city until 1886 when administration was transferred to the Daughters of Charity (Paules sisters), who renamed the school Colegio de Sta. Rosa. Two earthquakes in 1863 and 1880 paved way for the construction of a new, bigger structure in place of the ruins. However, the building was destroyed by the initial bombing of Manila in 1941 forcing the sisters to transfer the school to Santa Mesa, ManilaSta. Mesa.
In 1948, the school returned to Intramuros with new administrators, the Sisters of the Congregation of the Servants of St. Joseph. In 1964, they shared the same sentiment that inspired Madre Paula when she founded the school in Intramuros, thus, responding to the demands for a Catholic institution in the municipality of Makati. Under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Moises Lopez, OAR, who was then president of the Board of Trustees, Colegio de Sta. Rosa acquired the lot offered by the Makati Development Corporation. Government permit was secured to open Colegio de Sta. Rosa in Makati, as a branch. Augustinian Recollect sisters are the present administrators from 1981 to the present day.
Currently, Colegio De Sta Rosa has three branches in Intramuros, the original and first branch founded in 1750, the all-girls school branch in Makati found in 1964, and lastly, the branch in Trece Martires, Cavite founded in 1997.
Although the post-war school buildings followed the modern style; recently, the buildings have undergone a facelift and the facade of Colegio de Sta. Rosa in Intramuros has been recreated in concrete rather than its original wood construction.
Marker from National Historical Commission of the Philippines
The marker of Colegio de Sta. Rosa was installed in August 25, 1979 at Intramuros, Manila.
|Colegio de Sta. Rosa|
|UNANG NAKILALA SA PANGALANG BEATERIO Y CASA DE ENSEÑANZA. ITO AY ITINATAG NI MADRE PAULA DE LA SANTISIMA TRINIDAD SA INTRAMUROS NOONG 1750 UPANG ANG MGA BATANG PILIPINA AY MABIGYAN NG KARUNUNGAN AT KAALAMANG MAKAKRISTIYANO AT TURUAN ANG MGA ITO NG MGA GAWAING PANTAHANAN PARA SA KANILANG IPAGIGING MABUBUTING MAMAMAYAN. BINIGYAN NG PANGALANG COLEGIO DE STA. ROSA NOONG 1774. NOONG 1941 ANG TATLONG PALAPAG NA GUSALI NITO AY NASIRA AT MULING IPINAAYOS NOONG 1949 SA PANGANGASIWA NG SIERVAS DE SAN JOSE. |
SA PAARALANG ITO NAGTAPOS SI TEODORA ALONSO, ANG INA NI JOSE RIZAL.
- Intramuros, in and around: An Interactive Guide. Jesuit Communications Foundation, Inc. 2003.
- "Colegio de Sta. Rosa - Makati". November 2, 2014. Archived from the original on September 16, 2014. Retrieved November 2, 2014.
- Historical Markers: Metropolitan Manila. National Historical Institute. 1993.