This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pamantasang Centro Escolar
|Latin: Centra Universitatis Scholae|
|Centro Escolar de Señoritas (1907-1933)|
|Motto||Ciencia y Virtud (Spanish) Agham at Kabutihan (Tagalog)|
Motto in English
|Science and Virtue|
|Type||Private Non sectarian research Coeducational|
Basic and Higher education institution
|Established||June 3, 1907 |
(112 years and 189 days)
Carmen de Luna
|IAU, ASAIHL PACUCOA|
|President||Cristina Padolina, PhD.|
|Vice-president||Teresa R. Perez|
(VP for Academic Affairs)
(VP for Student Affairs)
Maria Rolina Servitillo
(VP for Administration and Accounting)
Maria Clara Yabut
(VP Research & Evaluation)
(VP Makati Campus)
Ma. Flordeliza Anastacio
(VP Malolos Campus)
|Undergraduates||Approx. 25,000|
9 Mendiola St.,San Miguel, Manila,
Main Campus: Manila Satellite Campuses: Makati
Las Piñas City
|Alma Mater song||Himno ng Pamantasang Centro Escolar (Centro Escolar University Hymn)|
|Nickname||Escolarians, Escolarina, Escolarino|
|Sports||Varsity sports teams:|
Basketball, Volleyball, Badminton, Futsal, Swimming, Table Tennis, Taekwondo
Centro Escolar University (PSE: CEU) (Filipino: Pamantasang Centro Escolar) is a private university in Manila, Philippines. It was founded on June 3, 1907 by two women, Librada Avelino and Carmen de Luna, and was originally called Centro Escolar de Señoritas. It became a university in 1933. Originally, its Parañaque campus was part of the university's system until it was phased out in the early 1990s.
- 1 Colleges
- 1.1 Integrated School (1907–2004), (2014-present)
- 1.2 School of Accountancy and Management
- 1.3 School of Dentistry
- 1.4 School of Liberal Arts, Education, Music and Social Work
- 1.5 School of Medical Technology
- 1.6 School of Nursing
- 1.7 School of Optometry
- 1.8 School of Pharmacy
- 1.9 School of Science and Technology
- 1.10 School of Nutrition and Hospitality Management
- 1.11 Centro Escolar University Graduate School
- 2 Campuses
- 3 Presidents
- 4 Notable alumni
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Integrated School (1907–2004), (2014-present)
The original academic program of the university, the Integrated School's elementary and high school programs opened in 1907. The programs were closed in its Mendiola Campus in the mid-1990s and formally phased out in 2004 in its Malolos campus. The last batch of its elementary and high school students were from its Malolos Campus in 2004 and 2001, respectively. The university will once again offer the Integrated School in its Malolos Campus starting the school year 2014-2015.
On its first year of re-operation, the University Integrated School offered Nursery, Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, Grade 1 and 7. While on the following year, the school opened its Grade 11 and 12 in compliance of the k-12 system.
School of Accountancy and Management
The School of Accountancy and Management is the third largest college in terms of student population in the university system.
SAM, originally known as the College of Commerce and Business, then later as the College of Commerce and Secretarial Administration (COMSEC), College of Accountancy, Commerce and Secretarial Administration (ACS) and recently, the School of Accountancy, Business, Secretarial and Public Administration (ABSP), started as a two-year secondary commercial course for girls. In 1928, a four- year college course was offered under the College of Liberal Arts, leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Commerce, as well as a two-year Associate in Commercial Science course and a one-year secretarial course for the other people.
School of Dentistry
Established in 1925, the School of Dentistry provides solid ground in the essentials of Dental Medicine. The School of Dentistry is managed by experienced dental professionals, who provide integrated educational programs based on advanced technology. The students work with the most modern dental learning equipment simulators, dental infirmary, x-ray facilities, and laboratories as they learn patient-centered clinical care.
School of Liberal Arts, Education, Music and Social Work
The School of Education, Liberal Arts, Music and Social Work (SELAMS) merged in the late 1990s to integrate the four major departments of the university.
School of Medical Technology
The CEU School of Medical Technology trains students in the performance of laboratory test procedures and analyses used in the diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of disease and the maintenance of health. The program focuses on the use of modern equipment and the performance of scientific techniques in the administration of the full spectrum of Medical Technology services required in modern health care.
School of Nursing
Founded in 1975, the School of Nursing offers bachelor's and master's degrees in nursing.
Since the establishment of the School of Nursing, community outreach programs have been part of the College activities in collaboration with the University activities. The community immersion program started in 1998 on a partnership with the adopted municipality of Naic, Cavite and presently it has expanded to the municipalities of Ternate in Cavite, Sto. Tomas, Malvar, and Laurel in Batangas in order to deliver the primary health care services to the community people.
School of Optometry
The School of Optometry was established in 1928. Known by their title " The Home of Board Topnotchers"
School of Pharmacy
The first tertiary academic program of the university was the Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy, instituted in 1921. Today, the college is known as the School of Pharmacy. It currently offers bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees in Pharmacy. In 2011, it was accredited to level IV.
The College of Pharmacy was the first college established by CEU in June 1921. In 1929, the 3-year course was extended to 4 years leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy. The CEU College of Pharmacy was granted a Government Recognition No. 32, Series of 1946 on February 27, 1946. Twenty-six years later, the B.S. Pharmacy degree required 5 years of study, but in 1984, the B.S. Pharmacy course was reverted to four years. In February 1999, it was elevated to the School of Pharmacy to include supervision of MS Pharmacy and PhD in Pharmacy programs. BS Pharmacy was opened in the CEU Malolos campus in June 2001 while BS Pharmacy and Pharm.D. (Doctor of Pharmacy) Program were offered in CEU Makati campus in June 2005.
It has been a founding member of Philippine Association of the Colleges of Pharmacy (PACOP) since 1965. It is a founding member of the Asian Association of Schools of Pharmacy (AASP) in April 2001.
The School of Pharmacy is a founding member of the Philippine Association of Colleges of Pharmacy and of the Asian Association of Schools of Pharmacy. It is the first School of Pharmacy in the Philippines to be awarded with Level IV Re-accreditation status by the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities – Commission on Accreditation (PACUCOA) as certified by Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines (FAAP).
School of Science and Technology
Established in 1928, then School of Science now School of Science and Technology offers bachelor's and master's degrees in Biology, Psychology and Cosmetic Science It is the first school in the Philippines to offer a degree in Cosmetic Science, which was conceptualized by Dr. Zenaida Austria. BS Cosmetic Science is the first in the Philippines and in Asia. also, in the field of technology they offer Information Technology, Computer Science and Computer Engineering course, School of Science and Technology was handled by Dean Dr. Julieta Z. Dungca.
The School of Science and Technology paves the way to students careers as science specialists, researchers, counselors, academic, corporate, and medical workers, and IT practitioners.
School of Nutrition and Hospitality Management
The School of Nutrition and Hospitality Management offers bachelor's degrees in Tourism, Family or Home Economics and Nutrition and Dietetics. The school also offers bachelor's degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management.
In June of school year 1967-68, the Department of Home Economics, which used to be a part of the College of Education, was merged with the College of Foods and Nutrition and the college was named College of Nutrition and Home Economics. The college offered two four-year courses leading to the degrees Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly Bachelor of Science in Foods and Nutrition) and Bachelor of Science in Home Economics.
In June of school year 1989-90, the four-year degree and one-year non-degree courses in Tourism, formerly offered under the College of Liberal Arts, were commissioned to the College. For this reason, the College has been renamed College of Nutrition, Home Economics and Tourism.
With the issuance of the Commission on Higher Education memorandum order number 36 series 1998 on Policies and Standards for Graduate Education, the College of Nutrition, Home Economics and Tourism was elevated to School of Home Economics, Nutrition and Tourism.
In the year 2001 permission from Commission on Higher Education was obtained to change the nomenclature of B.S. Home Economics to B.S. Family Economics. In the same year the University renamed the School of Home Economics, Nutrition and Tourism (SHENT) to School of Tourism, Family Economics and Nutrition. Finally, the school began offering the four-year degree course B.S. Hotel and Restaurant Management in school year 2004-2005.
In 2007 the college was renamed School of Nutrition and Hospitality Management.
Centro Escolar University Graduate School
The Graduate School was organized in 1926 during the administration of Doña Librada V. Avelino, founder and first CEU President, with Dr. Concepcion A. Aguila as the first Graduate School Dean. It offers master's and doctorate programs in the fields of Education, Liberal Arts, Business Administration, Sciences, Philosophy, Pharmacy, Dental Education, and Public Administration. CEU is the only school in the Philippines that offers a post-doctoral degree on Total Quality Management on Higher Education.
Mendiola (Main) campus
The campus is 3.8 hectares composed of 14 buildings that houses around 25,000 students a year. Known for its pink buildings, the campus is located in the western side of Mendiola Street in Manila, the heart of Manila's "University Belt." The administration building is called the Librada Avelino Hall. As of 2011, CEU Mendiola houses 26,000 Escolarians enrolled.
The marker of Centro Escolar University Mendiola was installed in 1952 at Mendiola St., San Miguel, Manila. It was installed by the Philippines Historical Committee (now National Historical Commission of the Philippines).
|Centro Escolar University Mendiola|
|FOUNDED AS CENTRO ESCOLAR DE SEÑORITAS IN 1907 BY LIBRADA AVELINO AND CARMEN DE LUNA, GRADUATES OF THE ESCUELA NORMAL SUPERIOR DE MAESTRAS. PIONEER FILIPINO COLLEGE FOR GIRLS TO BECOME A UNIVERSITY IN 1932. FIRST NON-SECTARIAN UNIVERSITY GIVING GRADUATE STUDIES LEADING TO THE DEGREES OF DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY AND OF DOCTOR OF EDUCATION.|
Build on 1978, the campus is located in a 7-hectare property along MacArthur Highway in Malolos, Bulacan. The campus consists of air-conditioned classrooms, laboratories, the university library, cafeterias, an open-air basketball court, a mini-hotel called Ada's (named after the founder, Librada Avelino, who was nicknamed "Ada") for its Hotel and Restaurant Management students, and a 5,000-seater gymnasium called The Centrodome. The administration building is called the Pilar Hidalgo Lim Hall.
The campus will have a dormitory and swimming pool soon.
Sen. Gil Puyat Jr. Avenue Unit
CEU's first Makati campus is housed in the Philtrust Bank Building in 259 Sen. Gil Puyat Sr. Avenue, in the Makati Central Business District. The science and the law courses are here. The campus consists of air-conditioned classrooms, laboratories, a library and lecture halls equipped with audio-visual facilities, and a car park.
In June 2009, Centro Escolar University opened its law school under the School of Law and Jurisprudence, offering the Juris Doctor program. The CEU School of Law and Jurisprudence is headed by Honorable Senior Associate Justice Josue N. Bellosillo as its dean and Atty. Rita Linda Jimeno as its associate dean (the position was formerly held by former Court Administrator Zenaida Elipano). They invited some of the most famous law professors to be members of their faculty: Court Administrator Jose Midas Marquez, Associate Court of Appeals Justice Manuel Barrios, Atty. Salvador Panello, etc.
Legaspi Village Unit
The Centro Escolar University Legaspi Village Unit, the extension of the Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue unit, is located along Esteban-Bolanos Streets, in Legaspi Village, Makati City. The non-science and the Dentistry (DMD) programs are here. This building has centralized air-conditioned classrooms, computer laboratories, a helipad, and a library with audio-visual facilities. The new addition is the Dental facility inside the building.
Las Piñas campus
The Las Piñas campus is the now acquired Las Piñas College and it is named as Centro Escolar Las Piñas. The campus underwent significant renovations in the school year 2015–present
- Librada Avelino
- The university's founder and first president. She received an honorary Master of Pedagogy degree from the University of the Philippines at Diliman in 1929.
- On January 17, 2008, Centro Escolar University celebrated the 135th birth anniversary of its founder, Librada M. Avelino. Before she died on November 9, 1934, she counseled her students: "Work and study hard, be ready to offer all you have in the service of humanity and of our poor country." She co-founded with Doña Carmen de Luna and Don Fernando Salas the Centro Escolar de Señoritas, now the CEU.
- Carmen De Luna
- The university's co-founder and second president upon the death of Librada Avelino. During her term, the school received its university charter in 1939. She also oversaw the University's continued operations during World War II, when the Japanese occupied the ground floor of the CEU buildings.
- Pilar Hidalgo-Lim
- The wife of General Vicente Lim, Pilar Hidalgo Lim is one of the founders of the Girl Scouts of the Philippines. She became the university's third president after the death of Carmen de Luna. She steered the university during the reconstruction and normalization of school operations after the war.
- Dionisio C. Tiongco
- Dr. Tiongco became the university's fourth president after the death of Dr. Pilar Hidalgo Lim. During Dr. Tiongco's term as president, he led the university through rapid modernization of facilities and rapid growth of enrollment totalling almost 20,000 enrollees. During his term, the Parañaque campus was gradually being phased out. He died on December 1992.
- Lourdes Talag-Echauz
- A philanthropist and a professional pharmacist, Dr. Echauz became the university's fifth president and oversaw the university's largest expansion, wherein investments were made to modernize the facilities specially in the Mendiola and Malolos campuses. During her term, the university reached over 29,000 students and the university also started received its ISO certification. She is the only president to earn the title Chairman Emeritus of the university. She died on March 2009.
- Rosita Lozano-Navarro
- see Rosita L. Navarro
- Maria Cristina Damasco-Padolina
- see Cristina Padolina
- Concepcion Aguila – Master of Laws, 1926; Master of Arts, 1937 – First woman to graduate with a doctoral degree at Georgetown University
- Ma. Laarni Lopez-Cayetano – BA Mass Communications, 2002 – Mayor of Taguig City (2010–present), former Representative of the Legislative district of Pateros-Taguig City, House of Representatives (2007–2010) and wife of Senator Alan Peter Cayetano of Metro Manila.
- Minerva G. Laudico – Bachelor of Science in Social Work, 1930s – first Women's sectoral representative in the Philippines' House of Representatives, former President of the United Nations Association of the Philippines.
- Salvador Laurel – University Elementary, 1933–1935 – former Vice President of the Philippines.
- Fidel V. Ramos – University High School, 1930s; Doctor of Laws (Honoris Causa), 1987 ; former President of the Philippines, 1992-1998.
Television and Movies
- Gina Alajar - BS Tourism – Director and Multi-Awarded Actress.
- Gabby Concepcion – Pre-Dentistry – TV and movie personality, Matinee idol.
- Louie Ignacio – AB Mass Communication – TV director (GMA Network's SOP).
- Cherry Pie Picache – Pre-Dentistry – TV and movie personality, Multi-Awarded Actress.
- Daniel Razon – University High School, 1983, AB Mass Communication, 1987 – Radio and TV journalist and personality, Vice Presiding Minister, Church of God International.
- Willie Revillame – Pre-Dentistry – TV and movie personality.
- Jairix Lozarrix – Ka-Pastor – TV and Facebook pastor.
- Nora Aunor --- multi-awarded actress and singer. Also known as Nora Cabaltera Villamayor, Nora Aunor pursued her secondary education in Centro Escolar University's Generosa de Leon Memorial College in Paranaque, Metro Manila.
- David Bryce Gayacao - Singer , Actor, President
- Rolando J. Tria Tirona – University Elementary, 1958 and University High School, 1962 – Roman Catholic Archbishop of Nueva Caceres (Naga City, Camarines Sur, Philippines).
- "The University Presidents". Centro Escolar University. Retrieved 2010-12-25.
- Varona, Francisco; de la Llana, Pedro (1935). Ada: The Life of Librada Avelino or the Development of a Soul. Manila, Philippine Islands: P. Vera & Sons Company. p. 129. OCLC 830042720.
- Historical Markers: Metropolitan Manila. National Historical Institute. 1993.
- www.mb.com.ph, 135th Birth Anniversary of Librada M. Avelino, Founder of Centro Escolar University[permanent dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Centro Escolar University.|