|Slogan||Perfect Music Mix|
|First air date||1929|
Christmas Music (December)
|HAAT||250 meters (820 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||Sounds like "chime"|
|Former callsigns||CKCR (1928-1965)|
|Former frequencies||645 AM (1929-1934)|
1510 AM (1934-1941)
1490 AM (1941-1976)
570 AM (1976-1992)
|Owner||Rogers Media |
(Rogers Media, Inc.)
|Sister stations||CKGL, CIKZ-FM|
CHYM-FM is a Canadian radio station broadcasting at 96.7 FM in Kitchener, Ontario. The station currently airs an adult contemporary format using its on-air brand name as 96.7 CHYM and is owned by Rogers Media.
- For the history of the 96.7 FM frequency in Kitchener from 1949 to 1993, see CKGL.
The station was originally launched in 1929 as AM 645 CKCR. The station's frequency moved to 1510 in 1934. In 1949, FM sister station CKCR-FM was launched.
In 1965, the stations were acquired by Great Lakes Broadcasting, a consortium that included Maclean-Hunter. Both stations changed their callsigns to CHYM (pronounced as "chime") that year. In 1972, the FM outlet's callsign was changed again, to CKGL (evidently for 'Kitchener, Great Lakes').
In 1982, Maclean-Hunter took over full ownership of the stations.
The CHYM and CKGL intellectual units (call signs, branding, and programming, but not the licences themselves) swapped frequencies in 1992, with CHYM moving to the FM band. (CRTC approval was required, but only as a format swap between the existing stations at 570 and 96.7 as required under the regulations at the time, not a formal exchange of frequencies.) The stations became part of Rogers in 1994 when that company acquired Maclean-Hunter.
In the summer 2016, Rogers relocated the studios of CHYM, CIKZ and CKGL to "The Boardwalk" near Ira Needles Boulevard and University Avenue. Prior to the move, their old studios were located at 350 King Street West in Downtown Kitchener.
The current lineup is as follows:
- Brady & Tara: Weekdays 5 to 10 am
- Sandra: Weekdays 10am to 2pm
- Adele: Weekdays 2pm to 7pm
- Will Menzies: Weekends
- John Tesh Radio Show: Weeknights 9pm to 12am (with Radio syndication)
- The Serena Ryder Show: Sunday 1pm to 3pm (with few radio syndication, just exclusive owner by Rogers Radio)
- Delilah Show: The show was dropped from the station after Christmas Day in 2006. Currently, you could listen now on IHeartRadio anytime with Delilah . With or without an radio syndication from her programming in USA radio stations.
- 96.7 CHYM FM
- CHYM-FM history – Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC Canadian station database for CHYM-FM