|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Wisconsin's 1st district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Paul Ryan|
Bryan George Steil
March 3, 1981
Janesville, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Education||Georgetown University (BS)|
University of Wisconsin–Madison (JD)
Bryan George Steil (born March 3, 1981) is an American attorney and politician, serving as the U.S. Representative for Wisconsin's 1st congressional district. He is a member of the Republican Party.
Early life and education
In 2003, Steil spent one year working as an aide to U.S. Representative Paul Ryan. Steil has worked as legal counsel at Regal Beloit and as an attorney at McDermott Will & Emery. He was also an attorney for Milton, Wisconsin-based plastics manufacturer Charter NEX Film.
U.S. House of Representatives
Steil won the 2018 Republican primary in the race to succeed retiring incumbent Paul Ryan in Wisconsin's 1st congressional district. On August 14, 2018, Steil defeated former Green Beret Nick Polce and white nationalist Paul Nehlen, receiving 51.6% of the vote and winning all counties in the district.
Steil went on to face union worker and perennial candidate Randy Bryce and chiropractor and independent candidate Ken Yorgan. Steil was endorsed in the 2018 election by Donald Trump, Mike Pence, nine Wisconsin State Representatives, Wisconsin Attorney General Brad Schimel, former governor Tommy Thompson, and several other local and state lawmakers. On November 6, Steil defeated Bryce, receiving 54.6% of the vote and winning all but 2 counties in the district.
- Committee on Financial Services
- "Wisconsin New Members 2019". The Hill. November 15, 2018. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- "About". steilforwisconsin.com. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- Richmond, Todd (October 14, 2018). "GOP pins hopes for keeping Ryan's Wisconsin seat on Ryan 2.0". Associated Press. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- Meyerhofer, Kelly (November 12, 2018). "Some seats have opened up on the UW System Board of Regents. Who will fill them?". Wisconsin State Journal. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- "Wisconsin Primary Election Results: First House District". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-05-20.
- "Wisconsin Elections Commission Official Results 2018 Partisan Primary" (PDF). line feed character in
|title=at position 48 (help)
- "Randy Bryce, Bryan Steil To Face Off In Race To Replace US Rep. Paul Ryan". Wisconsin Public Radio. 2018-08-14. Retrieved 2019-05-20.
- "Endorsements". steilforwisconsin.com. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- "Wisconsin Election Results: First House District". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-05-20.
- Congressman Bryan Steil official U.S. House website
- Campaign website
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Profile at Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Legislation sponsored at the Library of Congress
|U.S. House of Representatives|
|Preceded by |
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives |
from Wisconsin's 1st congressional district
|U.S. order of precedence (ceremonial)|
|Preceded by |
| United States Representatives by seniority |