Type of site
|Film, box office revenue|
|Created by||Brandon Gray|
|Alexa rank||1,760 (August 2019[update])|
From 2002 to 2011, Box Office Mojo maintained popular forums on its website.
Brandon Gray began the site in 1999. In 2002, Gray partnered with Sean Saulsbury and grew the site to nearly two million readers. In July 2008, the company was purchased by Amazon.com through its subsidiary, IMDb.
From 2002 to 2011, Box Office Mojo had forums. The forums had more than 16,500 registered users. On November 2, 2011, the forums were officially closed along with any user accounts, and users were invited to join IMDb's message boards. The IMDb forums were subsequently closed on February 20, 2017.
On October 23, 2019, Box Office Mojo unveiled a dramatic redesign resembling IMDb, and was rebranded as "Box Office Mojo by IMDbPro". The redesign was heavily criticized for being difficult to navigate and moving much of its content behind a paywall. Several features previously provided for free, such as box office data for franchises, genres, actors, filmmakers, distributors, budgets, and inflation-adjusted figures were moved to IMDbPro, the subscription service of IMDb.
Box Office Mojo International
This section has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The international section covers the weekly box office of 50 countries and includes historical box office information from three more, as well as provides information for box office results for individual films from up to 107. The site also creates an overall weekend chart, combining all box office returns from around the world, excluding the United States and Canada. The overall weekend chart tracks the Top 40 films as well as approximately fifty additional films with no ranking.
Box Office Mojo International also reports the release schedule of upcoming films for Australia, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Japan, Lithuania, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Norway, Russia and the CIS, South Korea, China, Taiwan, the United Kingdom, and India. The site additionally has yearly and all time features for its various territories.
However, Box Office Mojo does not include all the international films, especially some with high international box office, in the Mojo Yearly and All Time Worldwide Box Office Charts.
- "Boxofficemojo Competitive Analysis, Marketing Mix and Traffic". Alexa. Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- "About Box Office Mojo" Archived November 19, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Box Office Mojo. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- Eric Engleman (December 17, 2008). "Amazon's IMDb movie trivia site acquires rival Box Office Mojo". TechFlash. American City Business Journals. Archived from the original on July 1, 2018. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- Ben Fritz (December 15, 2008). "IMDB links up with Box Office Mojo". Variety. Archived from the original on December 19, 2008. Retrieved December 17, 2008.
- "Forums". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on March 2, 2011. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- "How some users are trying to save IMDb's message board". Vice.com. Retrieved September 9, 2017.
- Jeff Sneider (October 10, 2014). "Box Office Mojo Redirecting to IMDb.com". The Wrap. Archived from the original on June 17, 2018. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- Natalie Jarvey (October 10, 2014). "Box Office Mojo Fate Uncertain; IMDb Remains Silent". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on June 17, 2018. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- Dave McNary (October 11, 2014). "Box Office Mojo Returns After One-Day Absence". Variety. Archived from the original on June 17, 2018. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- Fuster, Jeremy (October 24, 2019). "Box Office Mojo Criticized After Redesign That Includes a Paywall for Some Data". TheWrap. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- McNary, Dave (October 24, 2019). "Box Office Mojo Site Transformed by IMDbPro". Variety. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- "Box Office Mojo Undergoes Dramatic Overhaul". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 24, 2019.