Prince-Bishopric of Strassburg
The Prince-Bishopric of Strassburg, circa 1547
|Historical era||Middle Ages|
• Prince-Bishopric founded
• Gained autonomy
|Today part of|
|Part of the series on|
Rot un Wiss, traditional flag of Alsace
The Prince-Bishopric of Strassburg (German: Fürstbistum Straßburg; Alsatian: Fìrschtbischofsìtz Strossburi(g)) was an ecclesiastical principality of the Holy Roman Empire from the 13th century until 1803. During the late 17th century, most of its territory was annexed by France; this consisted of the areas on the left bank of the Rhine, around the towns of Saverne, Molsheim, Benfeld, Dachstein, Dambach, Dossenheim-Kochersberg, Erstein, Kästenbolz, Rhinau, and the Mundat (consisting of Rouffach, Soultz, and Eguisheim). The annexations were recognized by the Holy Roman Empire in the Treaty of Ryswick of 1697. Only the part of the state that was to the right of the Rhine remained; it consisted of areas around the towns of Oberkirch, Ettenheim, and Oppenau. The remaining territory was secularized to Baden in 1803.
- Archbishop of Strasbourg
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Strasbourg
- Palais Rohan, Strasbourg
- Episcopal Palace (Strasbourg)
- Strasbourg Bishops' War
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. .