Basque Wikipedia's screenshot, June 26, 2016.
It currently has 342,426 articles.
Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Launched||December 6, 2001|
The Basque Wikipedia (Basque: Euskarazko Wikipedia or Euskal Wikipedia) is the Basque language edition of Wikipedia. Founded on December 6, 2001, although its main page was created in November 2003, it reached 58,124 articles by August 19, 2010, making it the 45th-largest Wikipedia. As of December 2019, it has 528 active contributors, of which 12 are administrators, and has about 342,000 articles.
In an August 2007 interview, Jimmy Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia, used the Basque Wikipedia as an example of the rationale for having Wikipedias in smaller languages:
- "Certainly within Wikipedia right now we are seeing some fairly successful projects in small European languages. You don't really need a Welsh language Wikipedia, perhaps. The number of people who speak Welsh who don't also speak English is very small and getting smaller every year. So why do we have a Welsh Wikipedia? Well, people wanted it, so they're making it. And language preservation is the main motive. It is their mother tongue and they want to keep it alive, keep its literature alive. Certainly some of the larger small languages like Basque and Catalan have very successful projects. I definitely see that preserving parts of your language and culture through collaborative projects makes a lot of sense."
On May 21, 2011, Basque Wikipedia published its 100,000 article, an article about the prohibition of using Basque language throughout history called Euskararen debekua. In December 2011, around 11,000 new articles were added to Basque Wikipedia by the Culture Ministry of the Basque Government.
As of February 2012, the Basque Wikipedia has the second greatest number of articles per speaker among Wikipedias with over 100,000 articles, and ranks sixth overall. These figures were based on Ethnologue's estimate of 665,800 Basque speakers.
|Number of Articles||Date||Article|
|1||December 6, 2001||Lurra|
|5,000||January 28, 2006|
|10,000||May 28, 2006|
|20,000||September 10, 2007|
|25,000||April 6, 2008||Euskal Herriak Bere Eskola|
|30,000||September 12, 2008||Sexu|
|40,000||July 15, 2009||Eden Project|
|45,000||October 13, 2009||Xinmin Hiria|
|50,000||December 30, 2009||Errinozero|
|55,000||April 12, 2010|
|60,000||November 8, 2010||Posta Kode|
|70,000||April 18, 2011||Écurat|
|80,000||April 22, 2011||Kolonbiako geografia|
|90,000||May 1, 2011||Elisabet Farnesio|
|100,000||May 21, 2011||Euskararen debekua|
|120,000||December 21, 2011|
|130,000||May 5, 2012||Vireo approximans|
|150,000||March 27, 2013||Pointe-à-Pitre|
|200,000||September 19, 2014||Malda (topografia)|
|250.000||June 23, 2016||Abuwtiyuw|
New articles per day
- November 8, 2010: 456 articles
- December 20, 2009: 239 articles
- October 8, 2009: 219 articles
- August 30, 2009: 141 articles
- October 7, 2009: 134 articles
- October 11, 2009: 125 articles
- October 9, 2009: 118 articles
- October 13, 2009: 115 articles
In 2019 the Basque Wikipedia has 74 thousand unique categories and 26.01% of them do not have appropriate page in the category namespace. The average article in this language version has 4 categories, while number of unique categories per articles ratio is 0.222. The largest number of articles has Geography (24%) and History (16%) category. In Basque Wikipedia articles related to Education and Food and drink has the highest average quality. Content about Education is read more often and has the highest authors' interest on average.
- Idoia Etxeberria (April 24, 2008). "Jakintza eta auzolana". Berria. Archived from the original on July 16, 2011. Retrieved October 10, 2009.
- Multilingual monthly statistics
- List of Wikipedias - Meta
- Basque Wikipedia´s statistics
- Basque Wikipedia´s statistic
- Graphics on Basque Wikipedia
- Interview on geekillustrated.com, August 2007
- "Imanol Murua Uria Berriako kazetariak jaso du prentsa idatziko Argia saria". Berria. January 26, 2008. Archived from the original on July 22, 2012. Retrieved October 10, 2009.
- Sara Santos (January 26, 2008). "Argia astekariak 2008. urteko bere sariak banatu zituen". Deia. Archived from the original on October 9, 2011. Retrieved October 10, 2009.
- Rebeka Calvo (January 26, 2008). "Euskaraz bizi eta sortzen dugun komunitatea gaude gaur hemen". Gara. Retrieved October 10, 2009.
- Iratxe Esnaola (May 18, 2011). "Nork idatziko du 100.000. artikulua?". Gara. Retrieved May 22, 2011.
- Cultura incorpora 11.000 nuevas entradas a la Wikipedia en euskera (ABC.es, December 29, 2011)
- http://meta.wikimedia.org/en/List_of_Wikipedias_by_speakers_per_article List of Wikipedias by speakers per article
- Lewoniewski, Włodzimierz; Węcel, Krzysztof; Abramowicz, Witold (2019). "Multilingual Ranking of Wikipedia Articles with Quality and Popularity Assessment in Different Topics". Computers. 8 (3). doi:10.3390/computers8030060. Retrieved August 24, 2019.
|Basque edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|