|PTV regional rail station|
Bairnsdale, Victoria 3875
|Distance||274.85 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||8 May 1888|
The railway opened to Bairnsdale in 1888, and from 1916 continued through to Orbost until this section was closed in 1987. The passenger service to the town was named The Gippslander in 1954, but were cut beyond Sale in August 1993.
Following the cessation of log trains in December 1995, the line between Sale and Bairnsdale was closed until it was partially reopened for log trains in mid-1999. Following major infrastructure repairs, the passenger service was restored in 2004 as part of the Linking Victoria program. Until mid-2009, a five-day-a-week freight train hauling logs from Bairnsdale to North Geelong Yard operated from a siding east of the station.
Platforms & services
V/Line operate road coach services to:
- Bairnsdale Vicsig
- East Gippsland Shire Council (2007). "East Gippsland Rail Trail". James Yeates Printing & Design.
- "VR History". www.victorianrailways.net. Archived from the original on 30 May 2008. Retrieved 22 June 2008.
- VR Public timetable 1960, pg20
- Bairnsdale - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Paynesville - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Marlo - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Batemans Bay - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Canberra - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria