The Anti-Hindi agitations of Karnataka were a series of agitations which occurred in the Indian state of Karnataka, against the imposition of Hindi as a dominant language instead of the native language Kannada.
Agitations in 2017
The Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) in the Namma Metro project used three language signboards with Kannada, English and Hindi in the railway stations. Some locals believed that usage of Hindi in the metro as imposition because major portion of the fund to the project given by state government. The pro Kannada activists protested outside the metro stations and started online campaign with Twitter hashtag #NammaMetroHindiBeda (Our Metro, We don’t want Hindi).
After successful campaign in metros, the activists demanded more usage of Kannada in Banks. They continued similar online campaign with Twitter hashtag #Nammabankukannadabeku
- "KDA issues notice to Namma Metro on Hindi usage".
- "#NammaMetroHindiBeda: Pro-Kannada activists stage protest outside BMRCL office".
- "Twitterati rises against 'Hindi hegemony' in Namma Metro - Deccan Herald". m.deccanherald.com.
- "Hindi beda in Namma Metro, say Kannada activists - Times of India".
- "Campaign seeks restoration of Kannada in bank services - Deccan Herald". m.deccanherald.com.
|This Karnataka-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|