Andrew Christopher West (Chinese: 魏安; pinyin: Wèi Ān; born 1960) is an English Sinologist. His first works concerned Chinese novels of the Ming and Qing dynasties. His study of Romance of the Three Kingdoms used a new approach to analyze the relationship among the various versions, extrapolating the original text of that novel.
His subsequent work is in the minority languages of China, especially Khitan, Manchu, and Mongolian. He proposed an encoding scheme for the 'Phags-pa script, which was subsequently included in Unicode version 5.0.
- 1996. Sānguó yǎnyì bǎnběn kǎo 三國演義版本考 [A study of the editions of Romance of the Three Kingdoms]. Shanghai: Shanghai Classics Publishing House. ISBN 7-5325-2023-4
- 1998. Catalogue of the Morrison Collection of Chinese Books (馬禮遜藏書書目). London: SOAS. ISBN 0-7286-0292-X
- 2012. "Musical Notation for Flute in Tangut Manuscripts". In Irina Popova (ed.), Тангуты в Центральной Азии: сборник статей в честь 80-летия проф. Е.И.Кычанова [Tanguts in Central Asia: a collection of articles marking the 80th anniversary of Prof. E. I. Kychanov] pp. 443–453. Moscow: Oriental Literature. ISBN 978-5-02-036505-6
- 2016. Gerard Clauson's Skeleton Tangut (Hsi Hsia) Dictionary: A facsimile edition. With an introduction by Imre Galambos. With Editorial notes and an Index by Andrew West. Prepared for publication by Michael Everson. Portlaoise: Evertype. ISBN 978-1-78201-167-5.
BabelPad is a Unicode text editor with various tools for entering characters and performing text conversions such as normalization and Unicode casing. BabelPad also supports a wide range of encodings, and has input methods for entering Chinese, Mongolian, Manchu, Tibetan, Uyghur and Yi text, as well as for entering individual Unicode characters by their hexadecimal code point value.
BabelMap is a Unicode character map application that supports all Unicode blocks and characters, and includes various utilities such as pinyin and radical lookup tools for entering Chinese characters.
- Kimberly Ann Besio and Constantine Tung, Three Kingdoms and Chinese Culture (SUNY Press, 2007) p.163
- Charles Horner, Rising China and its Postmodern Fate (University of Georgia Press, 2009) pp.94-95
- Beatrice S. Bartlett, Review in China Review International vol.6 no.2 (Fall 1999) pp.553-554
- T. H. Barrett, Review in Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies vol.62 Issue 2 (1999)
- Andrew West Proposal to encode the Phags-pa script (SC2/WG2 N2622)
- Jukka K. Korpela, Unicode Explained (O'Reilly, 2006) pp.114-115
- Ken Lunde, CJKV Information Processing (O'Reilly, 2008) p.645
- Yannis Haralambous and P. Scott Horne, Fonts & Encodings (O'Reilly, 2007) pp.161-163