|limited liability company|
|Industry||Cloud computing, Web services|
Alibaba Cloud (Chinese: 阿里云; pinyin: Ālǐyún; literally: 'Ali Cloud'), also known as Aliyun, is a Chinese cloud computing company, a subsidiary of Alibaba Group. Alibaba Cloud provides cloud computing services to online businesses and Alibaba's own e-commerce ecosystem. Alibaba Cloud's international operations are registered and headquartered in Singapore. As in Aug. 2019, the company made an announcement to rename Alibaba Cloud to Alibaba Cloud Intelligence.
Alibaba Cloud offers cloud services. Services are available on a pay-as-you-go basis and include Elastic Compute, Data Storage, Relational Databases, Big-Data Processing, Anti-DDoS protection and Content Delivery Networks (CDN).
Outside of the status as the largest cloud computing company in China, Alibaba Cloud operates in 19 data center regions and 56 availability zones around the globe. As of June 2017, Alibaba Cloud is placed in the Visionaries' quadrant of Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Cloud Infrastructure as a Service, Worldwide.
- September 2009 – Alibaba Cloud is founded and R&D centers and operation centers are subsequently opened in Hangzhou, Beijing, and Silicon Valley.
- November 2010 – Supported the first Single's Day (11.11) Taobao shopping festival, with 2.4 billion PV in 24 hours.
- November 2012 – Became the first Chinese cloud service provider to pass ISO27001:2005 (Information Security Management System).
- January 2013 – Merged with HiChina for www.net.cn business.
- August 2013 – ApsaraDB architecture supported 5000 physical machines in a single cluster.
- December 2014 – Defended a 14-hour long DDoS attack, peaking at 453.8Gbit/s.
- May 2014 – Hong Kong data center went online.
- October 2015 – Two US data centers went online.
- July 2015 – Alibaba Group invested a further US$1 billion to Alibaba Cloud.
- August 2015 – Alibaba Cloud's first Singapore data center opened. Singapore is announced as Alibaba Cloud's overseas headquarters.
- October 2015 – MaxCompute took the lead of the Sort Benchmark, sorting 100TB data in 377s compared with Apache Spark's previous record of 1406s.
- October 2015 – Alibaba Cloud Computing Conference was held in Hangzhou and attracted over 20,000 developers.
- November 2015 – Supported the 11.11 shopping festival with a record of $14.2 billion transactions in 24 hours.
- April 2016 – Alibaba Cloud partnered with SK Holdings C&C to provide cloud services to Korean and Chinese companies.
- May 2016 – Alibaba Group and SoftBank formalized joint venture to launch cloud services in Japan that utilize technologies and solutions from Alibaba Cloud.
- June 2016 – Alibaba Cloud expanded its data center operations in Singapore with the establishment of a second availability zone. Alibaba Cloud also achieved two new certifications overseas: Singapore Multi-Tier Cloud Security (MTCS) standard Level 3, and the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS).
- November 2016 - Alibaba Cloud partnered with Vodafone Germany for Data Center operation and to provide cloud services to German and European companies.
- January 2017 – Alibaba became the official cloud services provider of the Olympics.
- June 2017 – Alibaba Cloud is placed in the Visionaries quadrant of Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Cloud Infrastructure as a Service, Worldwide.
- July 2017 – Alibaba Cloud official website is changed from intl.aliyun.com to www.alibabacloud.com.
- September 2017 – Alibaba Cloud partners with Malaysia's Fusionex to provide cloud solutions in Southeast Asia.
- October 2017 – Alibaba Cloud partners with Elastic and launches a new service called Alibaba Cloud Elasticsearch.
- October 2017 - Alibaba Cloud Malaysia data center commences operations.
- December 2017 - Alibaba Cloud India data center commences operations.
- December 2017 - Alibaba Cloud received the C5 standard certification from German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) for its datacenters in Germany and Singapore.
- February 2018 - Alibaba Cloud Indonesia data center commences operations.
Data Center Regions
Alibaba Cloud has 19 regional data centres globally, including China North, China South, China East, US West, US East, Europe, United Kingdom, Middle East, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Malaysia, India, and Indonesia.
Alibaba Cloud provides cloud computing IaaS, PaaS, DBaaS and SaaS, including services such as e-commerce, big data, Database, IoT, Object storage (OOS), Kubernetes and data customization which can be managed from Alibaba web page or using
aliyun command line tool.
POLARDB was first released in September 2017 for beta testing, and commercialized in April 2018. A major update was released in 2019, providing compatible features with MySQL, Oracle Database and PostgreSQL.
POLARDB is a Cloud-Native database, providing up to 100TB in storage, and up to 88vCPUs and 710GB of memory for computation
AnalyticDB is an online analytical processing (OLAP) database system on Alibaba cloud. It offers both PostgreSQL and MySQL versions. It was developed for high concurrent data processing with minimal delays and real-time analytical queries in petabyte (PB) scale. It runs on over 2000 physical machines on Alibaba Cloud.
It uses a read/write decoupling architecture with independent read nodes and write nodes, as well as a set of coordinators for communication. It also supports a systematized index engine and a directed acyclic graph (DAG) execution framework.
The system works for internal business operations of the Alibaba Group and its external clients from a variety of business sectors, including entertainment, logistics, e-commerce, meteorological analysis, finance, and public transit, among others.
On April 26th, 2019, TPC published TPC-DS benchmark result of AnalyticDB.
- "10 Years of Cloud Intelligence: How Will Alibaba Change the Future of Cloud Computing?". Alibaba Cloud Community. Retrieved 2019-10-31.
- Eileen Yu (2017-08-18). "Alibaba's fiscal 2017 revenue climbs 56 percent on cloud, mobile commerce growth | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- "PCCW Global and Alibaba Cloud expand strategic cooperation to collaboratively protect businesses against cyber attacks". 2016-08-25. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- Barb Darrow. "Alibaba backs Aliyun cloud with another billion dollars". Fortune. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- Hang Zhi Cheng (2015-10-30). "AliCloud Technology Sets World Sorting Records Company's FuxiSort solution sorts 100TB of data in 377 seconds". The Tech Revolutionist. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "Markteintritt in Europa: Alibaba Cloud setzt auf Rechenzentrum von Vodafone Deutschland - Vodafone Medien". Vodafone Medien (in German). 2016-11-21. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "Vodafone Partnership". www.alibabacloud.com. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- Fitz Tepper (2017-01-19). "Alibaba is now the official cloud services provider of the Olympics". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- Jordan Novet (2017-06-15). "Alibaba just got a huge vote of confidence in the cloud war against Amazon and Microsoft". CNBC. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "Alibaba Cloud International Website Official Domain Name Change". www.alibabacloud.com. 2017-07-04. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "Alibaba Cloud partners with Malaysia's Fusionex to provide cloud solutions in Southeast Asia".
- "Alibaba Cloud to Offer Elasticsearch, Kibana, and X-Pack in China".
- "Alibaba Cloud Malaysia Data Center Commences Operations".
- "Alibaba Cloud Opens New Data Center in India | Alizila.com". Alizila.com. 2017-12-19. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "BSI - Presseinformationen des BSI - Cloud Computing: C5-Testat an Alibaba Cloud". www.bsi.bund.de. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- Yu, Eileen. "Alibaba opens data centre in Indonesia | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "kubernetes解决方案". cn.aliyun.com. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- "Alibaba Cloud POLARDB*—Innovative New DBaaS Model". Intel.
- "A Brief History of Development of Alibaba Cloud PolarDB". alibabacloud.
- ""from cloud to cloud intelligence" -- alibaba cloud outlines strategic upgrade after a decade of success". marketwatch.
- "PolarFS: An Ultra-low Latency and Failure Resilient Distributed File System for Shared Storage Cloud Database". ACM DIGITAL LIBRARY.
- "X-Engine: An Optimized Storage Engine for Large-scale E-commerce Transaction Processing". ACM DIGITAL LIBRARY.
- "Alibaba Cloud Powered $1B of GMV in 68 Seconds, with Zero Downtime During 11.11". Yahoo Finance.
- "Alibaba Cloud Ranked Third Globally by Gartner's Database Management System Cloud Services Revenue in 2018". businessinsider.com.
- "What Is Alibaba Cloud AnalyticDB?". DataMounts. Retrieved July 23, 2018.
- "AnalyticDB for PostgreSQL: Online MPP Warehousing Service - Alibaba Cloud". www.alibabacloud.com. Retrieved 2020-02-12.
- "Alibaba's next-generation cloud analysis database, AnalyticDB, was selected for the Forrester WaveTM cloud warehouse evaluation report. - Programmer Sought". www.programmersought.com. Retrieved 2020-02-12.
- Cloud, Alibaba (2018-05-24). "New Product Launch: Alibaba Cloud AnalyticDB". Medium. Retrieved 2020-02-12.
- "Analyticdb for MySQL: Pb level cloud data warehouse core technology and scenario analysis". Develop Paper. 2019-10-26. Retrieved 2020-02-12.
- "AnalyticDB: Real-time OLAP Database System at Alibaba Cloud" (PDF). vldb.org.
- Alibaba Cloud (2017-09-06). "SUSS and Alibaba Cloud to Spur Entrepreneurship With New Accredited Program". Retrieved 2018-05-26.