'Abd al-Qahir al-Baghdadi
|Died||1037 (429 AH)|
(aged c. 56–57)
Abū Manṣūr ʿAbd al-Qāhir ibn Ṭāhir bin Muḥammad bin ʿAbd Allāh al-Tamīmī al-Shāfiʿī al-Baghdādī (Arabic: أبو منصور عبدالقاهر ابن طاهر بن محمد بن عبدالله التميمي الشافعي البغدادي) was an Arab Shafi'i scholar, Usul Imam, heresiologist and mathematician.
Early life and education
'Abd al-Qahir al-Baghdadi was born and raised in Baghdad. He was a member of the Arab tribe of Banu Tamim. He received his education in Nishabur and subsequently taught 17 subjects, including law, usul, arithmetic, law of inheritance and theology. Most of the scholars of Khurasan were his pupils. Ibn 'Asakir writes that Abu Mansur met the companions of the companions of Imam al-Ashari and acquired knowledge from them.
'Abd al-Qahir al-Baghdadi wrote several books including Usul al-Din, a systematic treatise, beginning with the nature of knowledge, creation, how the Creator is known, His attributes, etc.... and al-Farq bayn al-Firaq which takes each sect separately, judges all from the standpoint of orthodoxy and condemns all which deviate from the straight path. Both books were major works on the beliefs of Ahl al-Sunna.
- Gibb, H. A. R.; Kramers, J. H.; Lévi-Provençal, E.; Schacht, J.; Lewis, B. & Pellat, Ch., eds. (1960). The Encyclopaedia of Islam, New Edition, Volume I: A–B. Leiden: E. J. Brill. p. 909.
- Anthony, Sean (2011). The Caliph and the Heretic: Ibn Sabaʾ and the Origins of Shīʿism. Brill. p. 72. ISBN 9004216065.
- Adang, Camilla; Fierro, Maribel; Schmidtke, Sabine (2012). Ibn Hazm of Cordoba: The Life and Works of a Controversial Thinker (Handbook of Oriental Studies) (Handbook of Oriental Studies: Section 1; The Near and Middle East). Leiden, Netherlands: Brill Academic Publishers. p. 387. ISBN 978-90-04-23424-6.
- "Al-Baghdadi biography". www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk.
- Keller, Nuh Ha Mim (1997). Reliance of the Traveller. A classic manual of Islamic Sacred Law. Beltsville, Maryland: Amana Publications. p. 1021. ISBN 0915957728.
- McCarthy, Richard J. (1953). The Theology of Al-Ashari. Imprimerie Catholique. p. 179.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Abu Mansur ibn Tahir Al-Baghdadi", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
|This article about an Iraqi scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Asian mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|