|Elections in California|
The 2014 California Superintendent of Public Instruction election was held on November 4, 2014, to elect the Superintendent of Public Instruction of California. Unlike most other elections in California, the Superintendent is not elected under the state's "top-two primary". Instead, the officially nonpartisan position is elected via a nonpartisan primary election, with a runoff only held if no candidate receives a majority of the vote.
Incumbent Superintendent Tom Torlakson ran for re-election to a second term in office. In the primary election on June 3, 2014, no candidate received a majority of the vote, so the top two finishers, Torlakson and Marshall Tuck, contested a general election, which Torlakson won.
- Lydia Gutierrez, teacher, Coastal San Pedro Neighborhood Councilwoman and candidate for Superintendent in 2010
- Tom Torlakson, incumbent Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Marshall Tuck, educator, former CEO of Partnership for LA Schools and former President of Green Dot Public Schools
|Tom Torlakson (incumbent)||1,767,257||46.5|
|Poll source||Date(s) |
|GQR/American Viewpoint||October 22–29, 2014||1,162||± 3.3%||32%||29%||40%|
|Field Poll||October 15–28, 2014||941||± 3.4%||28%||28%||44%|
|Field Poll||August 14–28, 2014||467||± 4.8%||28%||31%||41%|
|Tom Torlakson (incumbent)||3,167,212||52.1%|
- "Teacher Announces Candidacy for State Superintendent". San Fernando Valley Sun. 31 October 2013. Archived from the original on 16 March 2014. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- "Money matchups: AD15, AD16, AD25 & more". IBA Buzz. 31 January 2014. Archived from the original on 15 March 2014. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- "Former Villaraigosa associate to challenge state Supt. Torlakson". The Huffington Post. 21 August 2013. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- "Statement of Vote June 3, 2014, Statewide Direct Primary Election" (PDF). California Secretary of State. Retrieved September 25, 2014.
- "Statement of Vote November 4, 2014, General Election" (PDF). California Secretary of State. Retrieved December 30, 2014.