Jones: 50–60% 60–70% 70–80% 80–90%
Gaines: 50-60% 60-70% 70-80%
|Elections in California|
The 2014 California Insurance Commissioner election was held on November 4, 2014, to elect the Insurance Commissioner of California. Incumbent Democratic Commissioner Dave Jones ran for re-election to a second term in office.
A primary election was held on June 3, 2014. Under California's nonpartisan blanket primary law, all candidates appear on the same ballot, regardless of party. In the primary, voters may vote for any candidate, regardless of their party affiliation. The top two finishers — regardless of party — advance to the general election in November, even if a candidate manages to receive a majority of the votes cast in the primary election. Washington is the only other state with this system, a so-called "top two primary" (Louisiana has a similar "jungle primary"). Jones and Republican Ted Gaines finished first and second, respectively, and contested the general election, which Jones won.
- Michael Villines, former Minority Leader of the California State Assembly and nominee for Insurance Commissioner in 2010
Peace and Freedom Party
|Peace and Freedom||Nathalie Hrizi||212,991||5.36|
|Poll source||Date(s) |
|Margin of |
|GQR/American Viewpoint||October 22–29, 2014||1,162||± 3.3%||47%||36%||17%|
|Field Poll||October 15–28, 2014||941||± 3.4%||45%||33%||22%|
|Field Poll||August 14–28, 2014||467||± 4.8%||47%||32%||21%|
|Gravis Marketing||July 22–24, 2014||580||± 4%||32%||34%||34%|
- Christopher Cadelago (December 22, 2013). "California's insurance commissioner seeks re-election, more power". CBS Sacramento. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- Christopher Cadelago (October 3, 2013). "Ted Gaines announces insurance commissioner run". The Sacramento Bee. Archived from the original on March 16, 2014. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Nathalie Hrizi for California State Insurance Commissioner". Liberation. January 14, 2014. Archived from the original on March 16, 2014. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Statement of Vote June 3, 2014, Statewide Direct Primary Election" (PDF). California Secretary of State. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 4, 2014. Retrieved September 25, 2014.
- "Statement of Vote November 4, 2014, General Election" (PDF). California Secretary of State. Retrieved December 30, 2014.