|Elections in Massachusetts|
A Massachusetts general election was held on November 4, 1958 in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
The election included:
- statewide elections for United States Senator, Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of the Commonwealth, Treasurer, and Auditor;
- district elections for U.S. Representatives, State Representatives, State Senators, and Governor's Councillors; and
- ballot questions at the state and local levels.
Democratic and Republican candidates were selected in party primaries held on September 9, 1958.
United States Senator
Incumbent Attorney General George Fingold ran for Governor instead of seeking reelection. He died on August 31, 1958 and Edward J. McCormack Jr., who won the Democratic primary over Endicott Peabody, was chosen by the Massachusetts General Court to finish his term.
McCormack defeated Republican Christian A. Herter Jr., Socialist Workers candidate Charles A. Couper, and Prohibition candidate Gustaf B. Nissan in the general election.
|Democratic||Edward J. McCormack Jr.||238,477||54.63%|
|Democratic||Edward J. McCormack Jr.||973,303||52.01%|
|Republican||Christian A. Herter Jr.||888,385||47.47%|
|Socialist Workers||Charles A. Couper||6,048||0.32%|
|Prohibition||Gustaf B. Nissan||3,598||0.19%|
Secretary of the Commonwealth
Incumbent Secretary of the Commonwealth Edward J. Cronin defeated Republican Marion Curran Boch, Socialist Labor candidate Fred M. Ingersoll, and Prohibition candidate Julia Kohler in the general election.
Cronin died 20 days after the election.
|Democratic||Edward J. Cronin||1,136,783||62.38%|
|Republican||Marion Curran Boch||668,217||36.67%|
|Socialist Workers||Fred M. Ingersoll||9,547||0.52%|
Treasurer and Receiver-General
Incumbent Treasurer and Receiver-General John Francis Kennedy defeated Woburn Mayor William G. Shaughnessy in the Democratic primary and Republican State Senator John Yerxa, Socialist Labor candidate John Erlandsson, and Prohibition candidate Warren Carberg in the general election.
|Democratic||John Francis Kennedy||256,155||61.78%|
|Democratic||William G. Shaughnessy||158,447||38.22%|
|Democratic||John Francis Kennedy||1,140,765||62.00%|
|Socialist Workers||John Erlandsson||7,814||0.42%|
|Democratic||Thomas J. Buckley||1,150,267||63.26%|
|Republican||Thomas H. Adams||654,808||36.01%|
|Socialist Workers||Arne Sortell||7,698||0.42%|
|Prohibition||John B. Lauder||5,621||0.31%|
- "George Fingold is Dead at 49. Massachusetts Attorney General; G.O.P.Candidate for Governor Had Campaigned Saturday --Serving Third Term". New York Times. September 1, 1958.
- Massachusetts Election Statistics 1958. p. 65.
- Massachusetts Election Statistics 1958. p. 5.
- "Edward J. Cronin". New York Times. November 25, 1958.
- Massachusetts Election Statistics 1958. p. 62.