|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Sponsor||Government of Macau|
|Intended use||Entities connected with: |
|Actual use||Gets some use in Macau|
|Registration restrictions||Limited to local businesses and organizations in Macau|
|Structure||Second-level registrations are now available to registrants who already have the same name at third level|
- .mo can also refer to the file extension of binary files that have been compiled from .po files using GNU gettext.
The registry for this domain name is operated by the Macao Network Information Centre (MONIC). Operated by the University of Macau since 1992, MONIC administers the registration of the country-code domain names ccTLD.
To further promote the development of services, the Government of Macau changed the operation entity of MONIC. Effective from 12 March 2011, HNET Asia Limited  appointed by the Macau government, is responsible for operating MONIC.
HNET aims at optimizing and developing the Macao domain name. It will be contributing to the development of the internet industry in Macao, as well as deploying Chinese domain names (including at the Top-Level, .澳门), DNSSEC and other capabilities for the registry.
At present, domain names are open to local businesses and organizations and cannot be registered by the general public.
Regulation on Internet Domain Name Registration Macao Special Administrative Region
Article 1 General Requirements
1. Applicants who apply for the registration of a domain name in the Macao SAR －.mo and .澳門(hereinafter referred to as domain name) must be Legal Entity, Commercial Entrepreneur, or Self-Employed Persons who are registered within the Macao SAR;
Article 2 Special Requirements
1. Applicants who apply for domain names with the suffixes .com.mo, .公司.mo, or .公司.澳門 must be Commercial Entrepreneur, or Self-Employed Persons who are registered within the Macao SAR
2. Applicants who apply for domain names with the suffixes .net.mo, .網絡.mo, or .網絡.澳門 must be properly licensed by the Provision of Internet Services or License for the Provision of Telecommunication Services or authorized by the Macao SAR Internet Resources;
3. Applicants who apply for domain names with the suffixes .org.mo, .組織.mo, or .組織.澳門 must be the organization registered within the Macao SAR.
4. Applicants who apply for domain names with the suffixes .edu.mo, .教育.mo, or .教育.澳門 must be the Macao educational institution or equivalent which is accredited by the Macao SAR;
5. Applicants who apply for domain names with the suffixes .gov.mo, .政府.mo, or .政府.澳門 must be a public entity within the Macao SAR.
6. The public entity within the Macao SAR may apply for domain names specified in Items 1 to 4, with particular and justifiable reasons.
7. Applicants who apply for a domain name in regards to a trademark / patent must be the trademark holder within the Macao SAR.
8. Applicants who apply for a second-level domain name with the suffixes .mo or .澳門 must fulfill with one of the above requirements in Items 1 to 5.
Domain name registration
Second-level Domain name registrations:
- .mo, .澳門 - commercial entities
Third-level Domain name registrations:
- .com.mo, .公司.mo, .公司.澳門 - commercial entities
- .edu.mo, .教育.mo, .教育.澳門 - educational institutions
- .gov.mo, .政府.mo, .政府.澳門 - government departments
- .net.mo, .網絡.mo, .網絡.澳門 - network service providers
- .org.mo, .組織.mo, .組織.澳門 - non-profit organizations
Internationalized top level domain
In early 2015 two new top level domains were reserved for Macao. They are .澳门 (in simplified Chinese) and .澳門 (in traditional Chinese). MONIC has requested these domains.