|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Guernsey|
|Actual use||Popular in Guernsey, gaming, and eSports websites|
|Structure||Registrations are directly at second level or under second level generic categories|
|Registry Website||Island Networks|
.gg is the country code top-level domain for the crown dependency of Guernsey, including the islands of Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou and Lihou (plus several uninhabited islands and islets). The domain is administered by Island Networks, who also administer the .je domain for neighbouring territory Jersey.
In 2003, a Google Search website was made available for Guernsey, which used the .gg domain. The search engine DuckDuckGo uses the domain ddg.gg as a redirect to their main website, duckduckgo.com.
Usage in Video Games
Multiple video game and eSports websites use this domain, because "gg" is a common acronym used in multiplayer video games as an abbreviation for the phrase "good game", usually said at the end of a match. For example, the VoIP application Discord, commonly used with multiplayer games, uses the domain discord.gg as a redirect to their main website, discordapp.com, as well as for Discord server invite links.
Popular .gg Examples
- discord.gg - voice and text communication for gamers
- op.gg - statistics and analytics for popular video games
- greenwall.gg - eSports fan site which is home several teams across different games
- boost.gg - service to increase leaderboards ranking in competitive games
- dreamteam.gg - eSports and gaming management network for finding other players
- smash.gg - Super Smash Bros. gaming community
- mobalytics.gg - analytics tracking for League of Legends
- fb.gg - Facebook gaming videos
- apexdata.gg - data and statistics for Apex Legends
- commands.gg - console commands and cheat codes for popular video games
- astralis.gg - official website for Astralis, a professional CS:GO team
Names have been registered principally directly at second level, however the following legacy sub-domain are still open for registration:
- .co.gg – commercial/personal domains
- .net.gg – Internet service providers and commercial
- .org.gg – organizations (free to local good causes)
- "DuckDuckGo official forums". DuckDuckGo. 22 March 2012.
- Roberts, Nigel (August 2016). ".GG and .JE celebrate two decades of service to the local community". channelisles.net. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- Beal, Vangie. "What is GG? Webopedia Definition". www.webopedia.com. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
- "GG". Gaming Glossary. 2017-03-02. Retrieved 2019-03-10.
|This article about the Bailiwick of Guernsey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|