|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Finland|
|Actual use||Very popular in Finland|
|Structure||Registrations are taken directly at second level|
|Documents||1986 delegation application|
|Dispute policies||Names can be suspended or revoked by registry if suspected of infringement of another's name|
On 4 December 1986, an application to register top level domain for Finland was sent by Finnish Unix Users Group from Tampere. The application was accepted and the administration of .fi TLD was granted to Tampere University of Technology. Later the administration was transferred first to FICIX and later to FICORA.
In the past FICORA regulated .fi domains very strictly. Domain names were only admitted to company names or companies that owned trademarks. This policy led to Finnish companies' applying for domains under other top-level domains. The policy was changed on 1 September 2003. Since September 2016 anyone worldwide is permitted to register domain names under the .fi TLD.
.fi was once best known among non-Finnish internet users as the TLD of the Penet remailer (anon.penet.fi), a privately operated server which enabled users to post e-mail and Usenet messages anonymously in the early 1990s. Another popular .fi address in the early 1990s was nic.funet.fi, one of the largest public file servers at the time which made Finland the only country outside the US that sent out more data than it received.
Since 1 September 2005, .fi domains may contain Scandinavian letters (ä, å, ö), though they are not recommended to be used as the primary domain. Since 1 March 2006, private persons have also been able to apply for a domain name. Some restrictions still apply, for example, company names or trademarks can only be applied for by the companies concerned.
- "Fi-domain". www.viestintavirasto.fi. FICORA. 5 September 2016.
- Fi-domain names now available for everyone all around the world , read 7 September 2016, published 5 September 2016.
- Helmers, Sabine (September 1997). "A Brief History of anon.penet.fi - The Legendary Anonymous Remailer".
- "FICORA tests DNSSEC on fi TLD". Blog.anta.net. 21 June 2010. ISSN 1797-1993. Archived from the original on 26 July 2011. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- Husa, Ari-Matti (2016). ".fi and DNSSEC" (PDF). TREX.