This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Introduced||Approved in 2014; proposed in 2006|
|TLD type||Generic top-level domain|
|Intended use||Breton culture and languages|
|Actual use||in use|
|Structure||Registrations would be taken directly at second level|
.bzh is an approved Internet top level domain. It is a sponsored top-level domain intended to be a top level domain for Brittany and the Breton culture and languages. On 10 May 2013, ICANN has approved the creation of the domain. On 27 February 2014, ICANN has signed the Registry Agreement with the applicant.
The idea of applying for a .bzh top level domain was first mentioned in 2004 by Christian Ménard, member of the French Parliament. The introduction of the top level .cat domain in 2006 revived the idea. An online petition, initiated by Mikael Bodlore-Penlaez via the Geobreizh.com website, has mobilized public opinion and encouraged local authorities to state public support for this project. The Conseil Général d'Ille et Vilaine (14 April 2006), the Conseil Régional de Bretagne (14 June 2006), the Conseil Général du Finistère (15 June 2006) have unanimously supported the idea of creation of a. bzh.
In 2007, the Regional Council of Brittany initiated a feasibility study of the project. Under the direction of a steering committee involving various stakeholders, this study has resulted in 2008 in the establishment of a formal structure to support the Breton application : www.bzh.
The www.bzh association is responsible for establishing the application, gathering the necessary funds to ensure its submission and its promotion within the Breton community. The association in December 2008 has been granted financial support from the Conseil Régional de Bretagne. The online petition has so far received more than 21,000 signatures.
- "Delegated Strings". icann.org. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "Extensions - .bzh : Brittany's .BZH: the next regional domain? - DomainesInfo". Domainesinfo.fr. 2007-11-06. Retrieved 2013-10-24.
- "ICANN Evaluation report" (PDF). 10 May 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-24.
- "ICANN GTLD notification email". 28 February 2014.
- Esch, Cécile (8 January 2015). "Interview : David Lesvenan, Président de l'association www.bzh". 1&1 Blog (in French). Archived from the original on 15 September 2015. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- Derriano, Luc (24 June 2008). "La Bretagne prépare son extension à caractère générique en ".bzh"". Caisse des Dépôts des territoires (in French). Archived from the original on 2017-05-02. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|